Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Kind of a spin-off: How many autistic ADULTS do you know?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 26 Replies

I actually don't know any autistic adults, except some wonderful moms in this and the other group.

I don't think my son will be considered by DSM diagnostic criteria autistic when he becomes an adult. I think he will still be considered ADHD though, like me.

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not sure I personally know any. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this
In real life? None.

Well my neighbors have an adult child with autism. But I don't know him.

And looking back now with what I now know, I think I used to know some people aspergers.

And dh has some tendencies. LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Emma on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

In real life?

I know like 5 or 6. Or used too, I probably knew way more back in seattle... and just never thought twice about it.

But, for "sure" I know my brother - who's autistic. Myself. (can I count myself? LOL) Some of my friends definitely had "traits" - and a few of them we working on getting diagnosed.

Jadnorton
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I worked with one for years before i had my son. She is still my Facebook friend and we talk a lot.
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kajira:

In real life?

I know like 5 or 6. Or used too, I probably knew way more back in seattle... and just never thought twice about it.

But, for "sure" I know my brother - who's autistic. Myself. (can I count myself? LOL) Some of my friends definitely had "traits" - and a few of them we working on getting diagnosed.

Yeap, you and kim are the coolest asd people i know ;)

Well, 2nd only to my son :)

VioletsMomTown
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know any personally. Just people online.

Violet's Mom

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

You know, now that I think about it, besides myself, I only actually know one other adult who has an official diagnosis. I know at least 6 who "identify" with the label and I believe would most likely meet the criteria for diagnosis if they were to pursue one though. 

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Quoting lady_katie:

You know, now that I think about it, besides myself, I only actually know one other adult who has an official diagnosis. I know at least 6 who "identify" with the label and I believe would most likely meet the criteria for diagnosis if they were to pursue one though. 

When I see your name, yeah, I remember. But if you told me, "list all the moms who are themselves aspies" I couldn't name them off the top of my head :)

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Just 1, my dh.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

The more I know about autism, the more adults I THINK have autism. Please dont get me started on my husband's family!!!LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN