Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What does ASD look like in toddlers?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Jen
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

http://youtu.be/YtvP5A5OHpU

Found this excellent youtube video that shows the difference between NT toddlers and toddlers with ASD.
I'll come back and make this clicky.

by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Waiting for clicky...

johnns
by Johnna on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Very helpful. Made me sad though, seeing little ones not making the connection. Took me back to that age, Sally is almost 5, and doing so well. But to the parents that might be wondering if their child has any signs, I know their heart's will just sink if they are able to relate. Its heartbreaking when it sets in that maybe your child's elevator doesn't go all the way to the top. I don't mean to be insensitive, I just have a habit of using metaphors- to try to lighten up the subject. Now I'm just feeling sorry for myself- very unbecoming, I know
AJsMom81507
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Quoting Rosebud27aj:

Waiting for clicky...

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM

thank you!

Quoting AJsMom81507:

Quoting Rosebud27aj:

Waiting for clicky...

BethB111
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Really good video--very clear and easy to see the differences.  I wish that such knowledge was available when my son was that age.  He would have clearly been diagnosed, and I could have started appropriate early interventions.  He was eventually diagnosed at age 9, but he suffered a lot of misunderstanding that hurt him educationally and socially due to lack of correct diagnosis. I'm so happy that there is more and more knowledge and understanding of ASD so that more kids can be helped at a younger age!  Thank you for posting this!

by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM
This is a good video. But it makes me worry more about my 13 month old.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Wow...interesting...thanks for sharing!

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:49 PM

My son never related to the phone when young it took him a while to just learn what it was all about and how to use it.  Now at age 5, when talking on the phone, he doesn't even like putting the phone to his ear, it must be a sensory issue thing.  I'll just adjust the volume on the phone.  When my son was a toddler he was more interested in putting all his cars in a row or making towers.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:23 PM

My 15 year old, he barely knows how to use the REAL phone. We're working on it though. ;)

Quoting emarin77:

My son never related to the phone when young it took him a while to just learn what it was all about and how to use it.  Now at age 5, when talking on the phone, he doesn't even like putting the phone to his ear, it must be a sensory issue thing.  I'll just adjust the volume on the phone.  When my son was a toddler he was more interested in putting all his cars in a row or making towers.

Poisongirl98
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:12 PM
This was great, thank you! This would have been nice to have when my DS was that age and worried he had Asperger's or Nonverbal Learning Disorder. With him, he did the things NT kids should do, just not nearly as much as they should. He didn't start pointing until 16 months, though, and not regularly until 2.5. He would, however, always look (or try to look) at where I was pointing. He has SPD and fine motor delays, and even though I think he's socially immature, I don't think it's Asperger's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN