Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

licking and spitting

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:15 PM
  • 14 Replies
Right now because of our move ethan is out of all his services and therapies. Anyway, he is licking and spitting all the time! How do I stop this? He has always liked doing these things but now its out of control.
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't give it any attention but increase his oral sensory diet with chewy and crunchy foods.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Booboo2008
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:57 PM

My son did that at 3 for a long time. Then he finally stopped I just ignored him and he got a new habit of chewing his shirt collars. So I got him a chew noodle and the spitting and licking started again so I started giving him pop sickles made from real juice and he stopped licking everything and the spitting seemed to ease off after that. He just needs to keep his mouth busy. Now I am going through a new phase of eating everything he wants things in his mouth non stop, if I wont give him more food he goes for objects :P. Just hang in there :D.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 16, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Brady licks random things all the time.  He spits as well...I try to ignore the best I can so he doesn't start seeking attention for it, but it all depends on the situation.  Hugs!

EthansMomma2010
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:29 PM

He is spitting in people's faces a lot though. Not on purpose, but still, not really something I can ignore. He was doing so well with his chewelry necklace for awhile and now he is refusing it for some reason. It's so frustrating that he refuses absolutely everything that would help him like chew toys and brushing.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Brady licks random things all the time.  He spits as well...I try to ignore the best I can so he doesn't start seeking attention for it, but it all depends on the situation.  Hugs!

EthansMomma2010
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM

He won't let me change his diet. It's very simple as it is because he can't stand most foods. Should I ignore it even if it's in people's faces? This is all new to me because we haven't lived near family or even visited since he was 15 months old. :(

Quoting mypbandj:

I wouldn't give it any attention but increase his oral sensory diet with chewy and crunchy foods.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I guess saying ignore it isn't a good description. If he's in peoples faces, I would remove him and start an appropriate activity without bringing a LOT of attention to the licking and spitting. So, something like: no spitting on our friends....let's ride your bike!!! 

If he's getting a lot of attention for it, people telling him to stop, begging for him to stop, threatening him if he doesnt' stop....that could just be motivating him to keep it up. 

Look for the function of the behaivor. Is he looking for attention?? Or maybe he's trying to connect? My 3 year old spits too and sometimes I think he's just trying to play. It's innapproriate so we try to model for him what we want thim to do. I hope that makes sense. 

Would he let you use an electronic toothbrush? I'm just thinking that the function of the behavior might be sensory. You can give him chewy toys to bite on. My son has one that he really likes. We keep it in the car and he chews on it while we go places. 

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

He won't let me change his diet. It's very simple as it is because he can't stand most foods. Should I ignore it even if it's in people's faces? This is all new to me because we haven't lived near family or even visited since he was 15 months old. :(

Quoting mypbandj:

EthansMomma2010
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM

i do need to teach everyone to ignore behaviors like that. my mom gives him way too much gentle attention for stuff like that. lately he is refusing all his chewy toys. idk why. the behavior usually starts when he gets overstimulated. which is hard to avoid given all the new houses and people he is meeting. it should settle down soon. i hope. he gets his electric toothbrush twice a day for actual brushing but idk if he would be open to it at other times. I'm overwhelmed with trying to stop everyone from encouraging bad behaviors whether they mean to or not. everyone keeps looking at me like "do something" and i'm not good at standing up to them and taking the criticism.

Quoting mypbandj:

I guess saying ignore it isn't a good description. If he's in peoples faces, I would remove him and start an appropriate activity without bringing a LOT of attention to the licking and spitting. So, something like: no spitting on our friends....let's ride your bike!!! 

If he's getting a lot of attention for it, people telling him to stop, begging for him to stop, threatening him if he doesnt' stop....that could just be motivating him to keep it up. 

Look for the function of the behaivor. Is he looking for attention?? Or maybe he's trying to connect? My 3 year old spits too and sometimes I think he's just trying to play. It's innapproriate so we try to model for him what we want thim to do. I hope that makes sense. 

Would he let you use an electronic toothbrush? I'm just thinking that the function of the behavior might be sensory. You can give him chewy toys to bite on. My son has one that he really likes. We keep it in the car and he chews on it while we go places. 

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting mypbandj:

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I've been out of the loop with this board for a while. Sorry. How old is Ethan? Is he verbal? Does he understand language a bit?

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd start by telling everyone during a time when the behavior is not happening. Tell them, hey I want to try something with Ethan. I think he is doing x,y,and z becuase he likes all the attention he is getting from us. So the next time he does it, I don't want you to go on and on about it. You can tell him no but then you have to get up and physically move somewhere so he cannot continue doing it. Or redirect him to something else. 

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

i do need to teach everyone to ignore behaviors like that. my mom gives him way too much gentle attention for stuff like that. lately he is refusing all his chewy toys. idk why. the behavior usually starts when he gets overstimulated. which is hard to avoid given all the new houses and people he is meeting. it should settle down soon. i hope. he gets his electric toothbrush twice a day for actual brushing but idk if he would be open to it at other times. I'm overwhelmed with trying to stop everyone from encouraging bad behaviors whether they mean to or not. everyone keeps looking at me like "do something" and i'm not good at standing up to them and taking the criticism.

Quoting mypbandj:

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting mypbandj:

EthansMomma2010
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Ethan will be 3 in august. He has some language but it is mostly functional echolalia. His receptive language is pretty low.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

I've been out of the loop with this board for a while. Sorry. How old is Ethan? Is he verbal? Does he understand language a bit?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)