Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kurtis2000 Has Entered the Group

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM
  • 9 Replies

Good Afternoon! Obviously new here.  I'm a mom of an HFA teen, 13.  He's the second in line of 3. I'm a SAHM cuz my children needed me. Kurtis didn't speak until he was 3. Didn't crawl, he rolled like a rollie polie. Walked at 18 months.  In diapers until 4. Diagnosed at 4. Pre-school at 4. Binky until 9. Had night terrors for a while.  It took us a while to finally figure out why.  He needed to be home before the sunset.  Night terrors decreased and then gone. I knew Kurtis was special when he was born.  He roomed with me during my hospital stay.  He didn't have the startle reflex. The floor I was on was extremely loud and the toilet flushed like Niagra Falls. He never cried or got scared.  His hearing was tested and it was normal. We had no idea what Austism was. We just went with whatever worked with Kurtis so he could communicate without speaking.  We were working from the cusp.  My dad was the one who gave me my first book that helped recognize behaviors. We moved and my new pediatritian was in the autism field.  She gave me the first information on how to find resources for my son.  Bless her.  She's still our pediatrician.  He attends middle school in regular classes.  He gets resource as well.  Kurtis, being a teen and high functioning makes it difficult to tell whether its the disorder or hormones! Oh, and my youngest son imitated everything Kurtis did when they played.  Its so neat to watch them play cars on the floor together. Umm, I think that's it.  I'm happy to be here cuz I need some venting sometimes.

by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Welcome and feel free to vent. I do it often! LOL

I have a 15 yr old with aspergers. He didn't get a Dx till he was 7. I kept giving him excuses when he was little. He's only 2. He's only 3. He's only 4. 

Thankfully, his preschool raised the red flags and he was able to get an IEP before he turned 5. He's now getting ready to start 10th grade and he has an IEP for autism and gifted. He is in regular classes and doing great - got straight A's his first year! The biggest issue he has is social. He's a sweet kid but has no clue how to make friends because his social skills are so poor. He's gets along much better with  younger kids. Especially if they are discussing Pokemon. :D

I also have a daughter who is NT and a 3  yr old son who reminds me lots of his big brother. But being 3, I find ourselves down the same path as before...he's just three. LOL

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group! Feel free to vent, share the ups and downs, just chat or ask questions... This is a great group!

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome mom! You sound like a great mom! It also sounds like God was watching over you and Kurtis. Such a sweet story.

kajira
by Emma on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Welcome - I'm emma and am a diagnosed adult with classic autism. I'm married and have one special needs son, and a normal developing 2.5 year old daughter.

Welcome to the group, it's good to have you here.

Kurtis2000
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Good Afternoon.  Thank you for welcoming me to the group.  I look forward to posting.

Kurtis2000
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Thank you for welcoming me.  Congrats to your son for such an awesome report card. Kurtis has an IEP for autism as well.  He does struggle in school, but I take whatever comes cuz he works so hard.  This end of semester he received 5 Cs and an A. I was so emotional when I saw his report card. Kurtis has some socialization issues as well.  He has such a gentle soul and he just emits an aura that invites his peers to talk with him. He does have classmates he talks to but he mostly keeps to himself during lunch. Of course unless someone is talking about trains and new and vintage cars.  

Quoting mypbandj:

Welcome and feel free to vent. I do it often! LOL

I have a 15 yr old with aspergers. He didn't get a Dx till he was 7. I kept giving him excuses when he was little. He's only 2. He's only 3. He's only 4. 

Thankfully, his preschool raised the red flags and he was able to get an IEP before he turned 5. He's now getting ready to start 10th grade and he has an IEP for autism and gifted. He is in regular classes and doing great - got straight A's his first year! The biggest issue he has is social. He's a sweet kid but has no clue how to make friends because his social skills are so poor. He's gets along much better with  younger kids. Especially if they are discussing Pokemon. :D

I also have a daughter who is NT and a 3  yr old son who reminds me lots of his big brother. But being 3, I find ourselves down the same path as before...he's just three. LOL

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Welcome to the group!

girl_incognito
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Hi, welcome to the group

My son did the rolling like a rolie polie thing too... for a while... then he seemed to jump like a frog... he did eventually crawl though.

My son is 15, dx with adhd at 4 and then dx with Aspergers at 10. It's been a ride. I have two other children as well, another son (13) and a daughter (11)

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

We're happy you're here too! Welcome to the group!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)