Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

good books for a boy with aspergers to help him understand puberty and his changing body

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM
  • 4 Replies

I am looking for books for my 10 year old son to help him understand puberty and his changing body.  He gives me such a hard time about wearing deoderant, taking showers, brushing his teeth, etc. But he's at that age where he really needs to develop proper hygiene and understand what's going on in his body.

by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
diane122
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I did a lot of research and much reading of customer reviews on Amazon about these types of books.  I looked for reviews from people with kids on the spectrum or other developmental issues.  I finally ordered "The Body Book for Boys" by Jonathan Mar & Grace Norwich, and "The Boys Body Book" by Kelli Dunham.  When they arrived, he devoured them and still goes back and reads them.  I just asked him which one he liked the best and he told me the blue one (The Body Book for Boys).  It covered everything from body odor, acne, physical changes, facts about what's happening down below, girls, feelings, etc.  It does it in simple, humorous, age appropriate wording.  The other one covered the same stuff, but it was more of a wordy, organized regular book format.  The Body Book for Boys had more pix, quizzes and color.  I thought he would prefer the more organized look, but I guess I was wrong!  Hope this helps - good luck with whatever you decide!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM

No experience as my son is younger but good luck:)

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM

D saw a movie in school but I also wanted a book more on his level and something we could discuss as we turned the pages. No luck yet...I will let you know if I find anything

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:58 AM

DS is 6 (but does need deordorant) and doesn't fight me about wearing it. He just lifts his arms when I ask and I put it on him. lol. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help! Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)