Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Sunscreen and Autism

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son is 5 and has high functioning autism.  He also has sensory issues.  We are getting into the hot time of year and it is a struggle to get him to put on sunscreen. Infact its so bad, he would choose not to go outside as to put it on.  I bought him a 3/4 sleeve swimming shirt to help so maybe I wont have to put on as much. But we are still struggling.  I have tried the sprays and now im on neutrogena for sensitive skin and we still get the crying and screaming.  Any ideas? I dont want my baby to miss out on summer because of this.

by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lucasmadre
by Kari on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I can say it gets better, my 9 year old will stand still and let him spray him with sunscreen. He doesn't like it but then neither do I :) There are some new products on the market called "dry" they aren't so slippery and when they are dry you can't even feel them. I think Neutrogena makes one...hang in there, it will get better. I used to put the suncreen on a soft baby wipe and then wipe it on, it was easier for him to take but he still hated it. XO

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Funny you posted this. My 3 yr old lost. His. Mind. Yesterday when dh put sunscreen on him. I was in the shower and when I got out I though he was dying! I ran to the living room in my towel and found out it was all over sunscreen. Idk what to tell you. Can you put just little bits at a time? That's what I'm going to try to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Look for ocean potion and tell him to smell it first. Worked for ds. It smells really fruity and nice.
A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I don't know.  I don't mind sunscreen, but I hate bug sprays.  It feels really horrible.  It feels suffocating as if it clogged my pores. I'd rather be consumed by a horde of hungry mosquitoes than have it anywhere near me.

I would maybe look into some sun protection clothing.

http://www.coolibar.com/home.jsp   (This site has a lot of sun protection clothing and swimwear.)

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:59 AM

My ds used to fight it but now he has gotten better about it. I only put it on when needed. Otherwise I just cover him up or not have him directly in the sun. He always wears a shirt when he swims. Mainly it's just his face and I just put it on very fast, he hates it but I explain to him he needs it. It gets better as the summer goes on.

Kate00
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:14 AM
I'd practice it a little at a time. First a hand, then a reinforcer of some kind (for my son it might be the iPad), then a leg, etc. Gradually increase the amount you put on at a time.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Hugs mama...these ladies have some good ideas!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN