Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

s/o other kids understanding autism

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:46 AM
  • 11 Replies
Do you tell other kids your child had autism and is a little different than they are? We have a couple if neighborhood girls Wii will come over to play with my older daughters, but mainly my oldest daughter. My 6 year old goes out to play, but doesn't really play with them or tries to make it her way making the other kids angry. My 3 year old spends the whole time following them around yelling at them for touching her playground (we cannot convince her that it isn't her playground). The younger of the two girls will tell my 3 year old she mean or engage in arguments with her. I have told the little girl that my dd is only 3 and that she was still learning how to be a friend. Now my dd will repeat over and over "i not mean, i not scary" along with yelling at kids to get off her play ground
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyandliam
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:55 AM
Bless her heart! Kids can be mean from the get go. They are so blunt brutal. I have started explaining it to my 7yr old daughter. She has always known her brother to go to doctors his whole life but he recently started an early head start program to help work with him. She was confused since her school is out for the summer. This program is in an effort to make the transition easier in the fall as his current class only has 4 kids in it! So I started by saying:

"you know how Bubby doesn't talk? How sometimes he gets mad and we don't know why? Or how loud noises bother Bubby? Well it's because he is different than other little boys his age, he is autistic."

She of course asked what autistic was so I said "its what makes Bubby do those things, like run back and forth and twirl."

She asked "is he sick?!"

I said, "no he isn't sick, his brain works differently than ours. So when we hear a song it may be nice but to Bubby it's really loud and scary."

She said, "Oh! So that's why he doesn't like to go out to eat?! But he's happy?!"

I said, "yes he's happy, it doesn't make him sad to be different...it makes him special."

Without hesitation she said, "we are all special mama...God makes everyone special!"

I agreed with a smile and she ran off to play.

Children have an amazing ability to be taught love, understanding, and compassion...hatred is taught...we have the ability to raise a generation of acceptance :)
TheJerseyGirl
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:22 AM

I love the "I not mean, I not scary"...that is so cute! Im smiling over here!!!

Other kids know around us but it's mainly the kids in our family, since our family is really big and we UNFORTUNATELY live right here among them.

I know that since he is 12, most of the kids in school with him "Know"...our town is so small and since everyone knows each other, I'm sure stories float around.

To be honest, the most understanding and non judgemental kids are in the resource room. They all accept each other wholeheartedly ...wish the world was like these kids!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Most of the kids at church understand that Ashton has autism and are really good to him. We have 3 ther kids with autism at our church so the other kids are really used to being around autism. Some of our neighbors kids seem to understand but when we ware at the pool I always have a kid ask why Ashotn is doing something or why he not play with them. I don't always explain about autism, It depends on the child and their age, etc..

maciymommieof3
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I try not to when I can.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:28 AM

My son doesn't play with other children...and if he does the ones he is around are extremely similar to him:)

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM

We usually don't tell other kids that our boys have autism unless they ask. 

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I do if it seems appropriate or necessary to the situation.  I don't mind child questions, and feel it is a good opportunity to educate them young and with better information than their parents are probably giving them on disabilities.  I also find children are so much more accpeting of differences and disabilities than adults. 

elkmomma
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I usually have to explain it to the adults more often.  The younger kids in our area are pretty open and honest, they simply ask me or DS why he does things.  We tell the kids that his brain works differently than yours and that's usually enough for them.  The older kids 10-15 seem to be meaner and they are the ones we have more issue with and their parents who are simply ignorant or just stupid.

LADYxGHOST
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM

For me, I spoke with the children's parents.  My ds has Austisim and as he has gotten older he has made major progress but when he was younger it was painful and difficult.  I would stay with him to help coach him on how to better behave.  (For example if my DS refused to accept the playground was not his and was made others where touching it, I would get a toy she really wanted and take her to the park and talk to her about sharing. I would offer to share my toy with her if she will share the park with the other kids.) My DS still doesn't play well with other. He is the boss and if he isn't the boss then it isn't fun and he wants to quite playing.  For him, I had talks with the other children's parents to explain his condition and apologize if his behavior came across as rude to them or their children.  I would bring treats and have events at my home for the kids to play to encourage them to tolerate my DS. Most the kids just tolerated him to get the goddies but a few actually took the time to get to know him and didn't mind letting him be in charge and after time my ds actually let them take charge.  

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:48 AM
I have explained it to my oldest dd who is 9, and my 6 year old hears us talking about it, but i don't think she really understand not cares (sheis the evaluation process). My 3 year old likes the idea of playing with other kids more than actually wanting to play with them. She gets too close, makes monkey noises, and flaps her hands when she us unsure. I just don't want other kids to be mean to her. The oak is right outside my back yard, so there are no parents out ever, otherwise i would talk to the parents to see if they could talk to their kids. I am really not sure how to approach the other kids. The older of the two is really kind and will tell get sister to leave my dd alone, she will for that time she is over, but the next time we start all over again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)