Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stomach issues & failure to thrive

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM
  • 24 Replies

My 6 year old is on the spectrum, and has food issues.  I had brought this up to his pediatrician last year, who did nothing, although he was concerned about his weight, he thought it was because he's not getting enough calories (which is bs-he eats well at both home and school).  All he did was refer me to a dietician, who recommended pudding with whole milk (pudding goes right through him), cream cheese, etc. etc.  Well, fast forward to this year's physical, and again, concerned about his weight.  He only weighs 31 lbs.  He's finally being tested for celiacs, and a few other things, and I'm wondering about a mold allergy (his stomach issues flare up big time with things like juice, applesauce, and recently, peanut butter)....I looked at the paperwork for the lab, and the dx is failure to thrive.  My mom thinks it's not a big deal, her response when I told her was 'So?'  Am I the only one who thinks that this is kind of a scary diagnosis?  The doctor didn't even tell me that he was putting that down....

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be concerned and start getting dietictians, and other doctors working with you.... get paperwork in place that shows you are actively trying to figure out why he's not growing normally, and look at his over-all growth charts, did he stunt out? is he growing slow, but as his own pace? take into consideration your size and the fathers size with extended family sizes as well. 

The FTT thing would bother me, but if he's growing on his own growth curve, it's less concerning then if his pattern has changed in the last couple years, or he's halted/stopped growing at all.

I would keep ruling out allergies, vitamin and thyroid problems, and speak to a nutritionalist who's goal isn't to just force feed him unhealthy calories to force fat-growth. That's not healthy eating habits and it won't nessecarily make him gain weight... especially if he's got celiacs, or dairy allergies that manifest differently.

I was allergic to eggs and it showed up in the form of heartburn.

lhiannan
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Well, today we're starting on bloodwork.  I picked up some dairy/soy free protein powder to add to his food, plus some gluten free vitamins (he almost threw up when he took those (flavor issue), so i think i'm going to have to get gummies or something).  I think I'm just going to make everyone go gluten free at home, I guess we'll be going through a lot of chex here....he was diagnosed with failure to thrive because he has not really grown that much (though he did gain a pound over 2 weeks, which I was happy about).  It's just frustrating because I've brought this up before, and they were just all about stuffing is face, which is not getting to the root of the problem.  Last year wasn't as concerning-we are all small in my family.  The dietician did not seem concerned at all after going over my family history.  My sister never even made it ONTO the growth chart, and I was in the 3rd percentile.  My son's father is only 5' 6" and I'm only 5', so he is not going to be a big kid.  A naturopathic doctor recommended all these vitamins and probiotics, which are expensive.  The probiotics are $30, the iron is $30, and then $15 on the vitamins (both a multi plus A&D).  Then the protein powder is $30.  I have everything but the iron (floradix iron and herbs), only because the health food store was out and ordered them for me.

Quoting kajira:

I would be concerned and start getting dietictians, and other doctors working with you.... get paperwork in place that shows you are actively trying to figure out why he's not growing normally, and look at his over-all growth charts, did he stunt out? is he growing slow, but as his own pace? take into consideration your size and the fathers size with extended family sizes as well. 

The FTT thing would bother me, but if he's growing on his own growth curve, it's less concerning then if his pattern has changed in the last couple years, or he's halted/stopped growing at all.

I would keep ruling out allergies, vitamin and thyroid problems, and speak to a nutritionalist who's goal isn't to just force feed him unhealthy calories to force fat-growth. That's not healthy eating habits and it won't nessecarily make him gain weight... especially if he's got celiacs, or dairy allergies that manifest differently.

kajira
by Emma on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Probitiocs ARE expensive, but it's worth taking them. However, if he's not allergic to dairy, even if you go low-dairy, yogurt and sour cream both have natuarl probitioc enszymes i them if you get the live culture ones. 

I only take probitiocs when I get on a sensory issue with textures and start gagging on my yogurt. LOL

Quoting lhiannan:

Well, today we're starting on bloodwork.  I picked up some dairy/soy free protein powder to add to his food, plus some gluten free vitamins (he almost threw up when he took those (flavor issue), so i think i'm going to have to get gummies or something).  I think I'm just going to make everyone go gluten free at home, I guess we'll be going through a lot of chex here....he was diagnosed with failure to thrive because he has not really grown that much (though he did gain a pound over 2 weeks, which I was happy about).  It's just frustrating because I've brought this up before, and they were just all about stuffing is face, which is not getting to the root of the problem.  Last year wasn't as concerning-we are all small in my family.  The dietician did not seem concerned at all after going over my family history.  My sister never even made it ONTO the growth chart, and I was in the 3rd percentile.  My son's father is only 5' 6" and I'm only 5', so he is not going to be a big kid.  A naturopathic doctor recommended all these vitamins and probiotics, which are expensive.  The probiotics are $30, the iron is $30, and then $15 on the vitamins (both a multi plus A&D).  Then the protein powder is $30.  I have everything but the iron (floradix iron and herbs), only because the health food store was out and ordered them for me.

Quoting kajira:

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

sue_stef
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM

the ratio of hieght to weight is a concern as well as his growth

has he been tested for food allergies?

is he really active? my 6 yr old is considered too small for his age he is 41lbs we were also told puddings high fat foods carnation instant breakfast more protien etc

my son is in constant motion he spends his days bouncing running swinging and climbing

try keeping a diet journal see what food he eats how much he actually eats and his reaction to them

hearing that your child has failure to thrive is scary I know how you are feeling they need to run more tests to find out WHY he is not gaining weight

keep that food journal for 2 weeks that will give them an idea of what is going on with him how he is eating and what he is eating

sure giving a kid pudding and fatty sugary foods will make them put on fat but is it a healthy solution adding some fatty foods to your childs diet if they do not eat them already might help but for a long term I dont think it is good

I feel for you Im sorry you are going through this

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Hugs mama!  I've been there...trust me:)  My son has other medical diagnoses in addition to Autism, mainly Cystic Fibrosis.  He has serious digestion issues.  He is only 4.5 years old and is just now eating baby food.  Needless to say he has a feeding tube...he got the tube when he was 2 years old because he was FTT.  His weight is MUCH better now, but his weight hasn't changed in almost 2 years and he is FTT for his height...he's 36 inches tall which is not even on the chart for a 4.5 year old.

Anyways...enough about my kid:)  I would keep doing what you are doing...figure out what your son will eat and do the best you can.  Testing for the allergies and Celiacs is a good idea as well.  Hugs and keep us posted!!!

lhiannan
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I'm sorry your son's weight gain has stalled-it's so frustrating.  It must be difficult with the cf :( 

I'm going to have to get creative with protein powder, I think.  My son's weight has barely gone up in the past 2 years, and I think last year he was at 29lbs, now he's at 31.  He is super active, just a very very busy kid.  I'm frustrated atm because I made him a shake with the protein powder and slim fast (the vanilla protein powder smells kind of perfumey sweet, so I tried to mask it with chocolate slim fast).  I put his probiotic in it and the a&d supplement, but he drank half and then threw the rest away while I was out on the porch :-/  We also switched to whole milk, to see if that helps.  When I go shopping on Thursday, I'm stocking up on gluten free stuff.  I'm thinking a few different varieties of chex for breakfast, and I'll try udi's again for the bread.  Dinners are going to have to be mainly meat with veggies (I'll have to hit Ocean State Job Lot for gluten free pasta, and hopefully he'll like it-he's an Italian at heart).

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hugs mama!  I've been there...trust me:)  My son has other medical diagnoses in addition to Autism, mainly Cystic Fibrosis.  He has serious digestion issues.  He is only 4.5 years old and is just now eating baby food.  Needless to say he has a feeding tube...he got the tube when he was 2 years old because he was FTT.  His weight is MUCH better now, but his weight hasn't changed in almost 2 years and he is FTT for his height...he's 36 inches tall which is not even on the chart for a 4.5 year old.

Anyways...enough about my kid:)  I would keep doing what you are doing...figure out what your son will eat and do the best you can.  Testing for the allergies and Celiacs is a good idea as well.  Hugs and keep us posted!!!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Hugs mama!  You are doing an amazing job!  You sound very organized and I have nothing but respect for you:)  Hugs!

Quoting lhiannan:

I'm sorry your son's weight gain has stalled-it's so frustrating.  It must be difficult with the cf :( 

I'm going to have to get creative with protein powder, I think.  My son's weight has barely gone up in the past 2 years, and I think last year he was at 29lbs, now he's at 31.  He is super active, just a very very busy kid.  I'm frustrated atm because I made him a shake with the protein powder and slim fast (the vanilla protein powder smells kind of perfumey sweet, so I tried to mask it with chocolate slim fast).  I put his probiotic in it and the a&d supplement, but he drank half and then threw the rest away while I was out on the porch :-/  We also switched to whole milk, to see if that helps.  When I go shopping on Thursday, I'm stocking up on gluten free stuff.  I'm thinking a few different varieties of chex for breakfast, and I'll try udi's again for the bread.  Dinners are going to have to be mainly meat with veggies (I'll have to hit Ocean State Job Lot for gluten free pasta, and hopefully he'll like it-he's an Italian at heart).

Quoting darbyakeep45:

lhiannan
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM

his weight and height are both at the 3rd percentile, which is what I was as a kid.  His bmi is 14.4, which is healthy for his age.  I'm honestly wondering if the doc jumped the gun on this, since he didn't discuss family history...I did some research and his bmi is supposedly at a healthy range for his height and age.  Either way, gaining a few pounds would probably be good for him.

**According to the CDC, a healthy BMI range for a two-year old boy is 14.7 to 18.2 and obesity occurs at a BMI of 19.3. A healthy BMI range for a three-year old boy is 14.3 to 17.3 and obesity occurs at a BMI of 18.2. A healthy BMI range for a four-year old boy is 14 to 16.9 and obesity occurs at a BMI of 17.8. A healthy BMI range for a five-year old boy is 13.8 to 16.8 and obesity occurs at a BMI of 17.9. A healthy BMI range for a six-year old boy is 13.7 to 17 and obesity occurs at a BMI of 18.4. A healthy BMI range for a seven-year old boy is 13.7 to 17.4 and obesity occurs at a BMI of 19.1. A healthy BMI range for an eight-year old boy is 13.8 to 18 and obesity occurs at a BMI of 20. A healthy BMI range for a nine-year old boy is 14 to 18.6 and obesity occurs at a BMI of 20. A healthy BMI range for a 10-year old boy is 14.2 to 19.4 and obesity occurs at a BMI of 22.2.

Read more:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/216051-weight-guidelines-for-children/#ixzz2WWHeFnQy**

Quoting sue_stef:

the ratio of hieght to weight is a concern as well as his growth

has he been tested for food allergies?

is he really active? my 6 yr old is considered too small for his age he is 41lbs we were also told puddings high fat foods carnation instant breakfast more protien etc

my son is in constant motion he spends his days bouncing running swinging and climbing

try keeping a diet journal see what food he eats how much he actually eats and his reaction to them

hearing that your child has failure to thrive is scary I know how you are feeling they need to run more tests to find out WHY he is not gaining weight

keep that food journal for 2 weeks that will give them an idea of what is going on with him how he is eating and what he is eating

sure giving a kid pudding and fatty sugary foods will make them put on fat but is it a healthy solution adding some fatty foods to your childs diet if they do not eat them already might help but for a long term I dont think it is good

I feel for you Im sorry you are going through this

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

It sounds like genetically he's just gonna be small, but it sounds like you're off to a good start getting him to hopefully grow and gain a bit of weight. We take the gummies and for probiotics we buy the yogurt. D isnt a fan of yogurt unless I crush an oreo in it and call it "cookies and cream" yogurt. GAH!

Quoting lhiannan:

Quoting kajira:

Myspace Comments

lhiannan
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

((hugs))  I'm not nearly as organized as I would like, lol.  My oldest is 15 and a cancer survivor, and had 2 surgeries this year (one in January and the other on May 29th), my ten year old and 6 year old are both on the spectrum.  I also have a 3 month old baby.  On top of just having crazy amounts of running around to do, I'm a wahm (though, admittedly, I'm not making too much money right now...)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Hugs mama!  You are doing an amazing job!  You sound very organized and I have nothing but respect for you:)  Hugs!

Quoting lhiannan:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)