Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the board and to Autism!

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi everyone!  Okay - let me make this short and sweet:  My son is 12 years old.  He was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 7 years old.  I always knew something was "different" but his therapist was totally against the idea of anything else being "wrong".  I got an email about Asperger's about a month ago and as I read it, I felt they were describing my baby!  It was like someone snuck into my home, watched my son and wrote an essay about it!  I found a new therapist, made an appointment and didn't mention my  "findings" because I wanted an unbiased opinion.  He spoke to my son for about 20 minutes, asked him to sit outside, looked at me, pushed the chart aside and said "He has textbook Asperger's, momma!"  I feel relieved knowing my baby has a chance and I feel more hopeful about our future.  Having an explaination for his "odd" behavior(ie his lack of friends, no filter, texture issues, high IQ)...its amazing.  So - all of this happened LAST Tuesday.  We are brand new to the whole Asperger's thing.

ONE question...do your children KNOW they have Asperger's/High Functioning Austism?

Whelp...that was my introduction!  

I hope to get to know you guys!  

Jess

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kajira
by Emma on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I'm an adult with classic autism - Text book symptoms but I can talk. I was overlooked because females sometimes manifest in symptoms differently than males on the violence and ADD type behaviors. I don't have ADD behaviors usually, and I'm not aggressive or violent.

I got diagnosed last summer after years of not knowing why I was different. I finally wanted answers. i also have a special needs son and a NT daughter.

Welcome to the group. Please feel free to talk about your son as much as you want, ask any questions you have. There's many of us on the spectrum here as adult, including raising special needs kids, so we sometimes can have unique perspectives on stuff.

I think it's great you finally got answers.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Hello, I was diagnosed with Asperger's last fall. I do have a child on the spectrum, but he's only 2 and he's on the more classic side. I think that it would have helped me a great deal to have known about autism at age 12, because at least I would have been able to cut myself some slack when I couldn't make sense of social situations and what not. Better late than never though :) 

JP1516
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Great to meet you guys!!  :)

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Welcome to the group! We talk openly about his autism but I'm not sure to what extent he understands or cares. He is 8 and dx pdd.nos at age 3.5

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM
My son is 15 and I've never really talked about it with him. It's come up in passing but got dropped. Dh doesn't like to "label" kids so I just leave it alone.

My LO has some signs but dh isn't interested in pursuing a Dx for him so I'm waiting till he starts preschool to see what the teachers think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)