Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Do your Littles KNOW they have austism?

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM
  • 7 Replies

I asked this in a previous post but no one answered me.

My son is 12 and newly diagnosed.  I don't know if I should tell him?  He has Asperger's Syndrome.

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I think it is important for him to know.  I'm 27, and I was just diagnosed (with Aspergers) last month.  I knew I was different at that age, but I didn't know why.  The older I got the more obvious my differences became, and I think it would have helped me to know why I was different.

sue_stef
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:51 PM

It helps kids to know what they have going on with them

my kids know their are hearing impaired

he will know he is different

LADYxGHOST
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:56 PM

There are a few books you might want to get. 'Can I tell you about Asperger Syndrome?" by Jude Welton (more a of a simple guide for you and your family and his teachers too) "This is Asperger Syndrome" By Elisa Gagnon and Smith Myles (for your son).

Telling your child about their condition is important. it is important to stress that the condition is not an excuss to do the things they do, but an explination.  Aspergers is the mildest form of Autism and many people with Aspergers can overcome many of the social issues and lead productive lives. Personally, with my son he knows he has Aspergers and is aware of  certain things he does related to his Aspergers and that helps him not feel so down when those things come up and negatively affect him. it also gives him hope that he can overcome these things and put them in context.  Some of the things that make him unique will never change but him being aware that he has a condition that causes these things helps him not feel like he is alone and that in someways these things are normal (at least normal for people with Autisim) and that helps him feel better and less alone.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:59 PM

My NT 10 year old knows my son is autistic and my daughter is hearing impaired with down syndrome.  He is great at educating his friends and other children we run into on a child level.  It also helped him to understand why they did things differently than he did or at different ages, and to look beyond to see their simularities instead. 

We have told the little kids (age 4) on an age appropriate level about why one of them may do something differently than another NT peer, but they do not yet understand.  It will be a long term education that evolves as their age and awareness evolves.  We will not hide it from them.

BaBeezandMe
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:04 PM

My boys have known since their diagnosis at age 5.  They'll be 9 soon

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM

We told my oldest, he's 6, but he doesn't understand it yet. My youngest is 3 yrs old and we haven't told him, he really is to young still and he really wouldn't understand it yet.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Ashton is 8 and he does know he has it but not sure he totally understands and he never asks about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)