Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What was your first clue that your child might have autism?

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Amy
  • 21 Replies

With Colin we'd noticed an odd speech pattern and that he was slow to grasp fine motor skills.

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RaevenJadeAK
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM

With my DD it was issues that she was havnig with impulse control and behaviors at school also the severe meltdowns. We went for evaluations because of her severe meltdowns and school recommendations that she be held back to repeat second grade. The school tried to tell me that if she were to repaet second grade her behaviors would not seem out of place when she was at the same age as her grade level peers. I wanted more information before I  made a decision like that.

Mom2TnT2013
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Me and a friend had our children days apart and even though her child was younger she was reaching milestones that my son was late catching on to. One thing that really sent me to the Drs office in a hurry was that out of no where he would start screaming and would fall to the floor. I thought he was in pain. I had never even heard of Autism back then.
iamtryingforme
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I had no clue. I guessed the ADHD, Depression  & Anxiety. Never thought about the other 5 including Autism that came along with time and doctors visits.  

by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Our doctor told me she needed an evaluation.
mamaboys0207
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 4:03 PM

His confusion. His baby sitter told me one day that he was acting like he had never been to her house. At home you could tell him to put his dishes in the sink and he would do it. When she told him at her house he looked at her like he didnt understand anything she said. Sensory issues was another big one.

SAMI_JO
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:37 PM
He NEVER acted like your typical infant or toddler. He screamed all the time, and didn't walk, crawl, or talk on time. He didn't speak until he was 3.
lucasmadre
by Kari on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Transition was so hard for him. It frightened me how much he suffered over the smallest irregularity in our routine. Crowds made him miserable. Ridgidity in his thinking...those were the main things, I knew when he was about six months old and asked his doctor who said "I was a nervous first time mom and being rediculous, that he was completely normal." I wonder if he had gotten intervention then if it would have made a difference. Truth is, I wouldn't want him any other way than he is but I would like things to be easier for him.

Chirinos
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM
When my son was a baby he hated being touched and had no eye contact plus was very colicky
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:15 PM

When he was 2.5 he had to carry things in 2's and became obsessed with his Thomas slippers to the point of meltdowns. He also had some speech delays..

mamacough
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I thought it odd that she loved watching ceiling fans and anything that spins. Wheels on toys and she always looked at everything through a reflection not straight at the object. When she was in therapy as a baby about 2 and 3 her therapist said she had Autistic tendency's. That always stuck in the back of my mind. She was evaluated at 7yrs old. and yes she is middle of the spectrum Autistic.:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)