Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you know your child is getting all they need at school?

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:34 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have been happy with the special ed my son has been receiving and have felt confident about his teachers but lately so many other parents are complaining...it makes me wonder if he is getting all he needs. I want him to get what he needs but I also want him to have as normal a childhood as possible. It is an awesome responsibility caring for a ASD child, just want him to get all he needs. 

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:40 PM
3 moms liked this
Is he happy? Is he functional? Is he sad or complaining, crying, or withdrawing from people? If not - he's probably okay.
smarieljlee
by Sara on Jun. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Quoting kajira:

Is he happy? Is he functional? Is he sad or complaining, crying, or withdrawing from people? If not - he's probably okay.
Exactly this.
amonkeymom
by Amy on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Yep, I absolutely agree.

Quoting kajira:

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Thank you ladies, he is happy functioning. He doesn't tell me much about school but when I ask him how his day was he always says "great" or "fantastic." Thanks Emma for your unique perspective. 

kajira
by Emma on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM
4 moms liked this
I would be looking for bad behavioral changes to signify something not working. If he seems like himself, I wouldn't stress about it. I wont' always say when I'm unhappy about stuff, but you can tell by my moods and behavior if I'm "feeling off" so to speak. My husband can always tell when I'm saying I'm "fine" but i'm not fine. LOL Since you know him best, I'd just keep track of his behavior and that will clue you in faster than him probably speaking up would happen.
Quoting lucasmadre:

Thank you ladies, he is happy functioning. He doesn't tell me much about school but when I ask him how his day was he always says "great" or "fantastic." Thanks Emma for your unique perspective. 

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

momtoscott
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM
4 moms liked this

Also, in addition to Kajira's great points, is he making progress that you can see?  If he is, and he seems to be feeling happy about himself and school, then IMO you're on the right track.  

Our kids need therapy and services, but it's possible to overdo them, too, and leave too little time for relaxation and kid-ness.  

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I 100% agree with this.

Quoting kajira:

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:50 PM

That is why I involved our ABA and tutor in my sons IEP. They know what is out there and what my son should have legally. The ABA is allowed to observe my son and the teacher is involving them by giving them updates by email. They thought the school gave him the best that they had seen given in a long time. They think this is due to the school pychologist being new and knowing her stuff. I am just grateful for what the school gives him

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I agree, I guess I just got a little wrapped up in all the options and wondering if I am doing enough. He is making great progress though, he is happy and healthy and making friends and growing like a weed. Most of the time he seems like any other kid in the neighborhood to me. Sure, some things are hard for him but all kids have their thing. I guess we are pretty lucky that his condition is on the mild side. We have our work cut out for us but it is manageable. I don't know what I would do without the support of you other moms though...this has been so great for me. THANK YOU ALL!  XO

Quoting momtoscott:

Also, in addition to Kajira's great points, is he making progress that you can see?  If he is, and he seems to be feeling happy about himself and school, then IMO you're on the right track.  

Our kids need therapy and services, but it's possible to overdo them, too, and leave too little time for relaxation and kid-ness.  

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:35 AM

In our school system, I feel everyone complains but me. Our school could do so much more but I know nothing better is coming. I'm just happy he has his own aide and things are progressing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)