Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Do you think there is a link between Autism and pollution?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Amy
  • 18 Replies

"A new Harvard study found pregnant women exposed to pollution were twice as likely to have children with autism."

Do you think this is something to pursue more research about? 

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newmommy430
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. It might help explain the rise in autism more. Even though there really is better detection and diagnosis, I don't agree that it's the only reason for the rise. I did notice that the more industrialized areas seemed to have a higher rate when they released the new CDC statistics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletsMomTown
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I know its true for us. I had Violet tested and she has high levels of aluminum, zirconium, uranium and lead (among other toxic stuff at lower levels). They are all the things manufactured in this town we live in, its so bad you can smell it in the air sometimes. Hopefully we will be moving soon!

Violet's Mom

KatyTylersMom
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe there have been multiple studies showing that the closer you live to a major freeway, the closer you live to a coal burning plant, etc. the higher the rates of autism.  Last I looked it was a strong correlation and many of the techniques used to help kids with autism function better generally work to help the body's ability to detoxify itself.  Methyl-B12, glutathione, vitamin C, and chelation all work to remove toxins from the body be they heavy metals such as mercury or lead or simply viruses and bacteria. 

The reason vaccines are often targeted is that they are a common factor for most kids with autism.  But in reality what is likely happening is the toxic load from the environment is simply very high to begin with and our kids are now born with a high load of toxins their little bodies are already struggling to eliminate - something that OUR bodies didn't get rid of very well either which is why it ended up in our babies in-utero.  Then we shoot them up with many more toxins such as aluminum, mercury, and formaldehyde with their vaccinations every 2 months.  All the while they're still breathing highly polluted air and drinking highly polluted water.  Even some of the "organic" baby foods were found to have high levels of arsenic so even when we try to do the right thing we wind up with less than stellar outcomes. 

Here are some links to other articles published about pollution sources and autism rates. 

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1353829208000142

The objective of this study was to determine if proximity to sources of mercury pollution in 1998 were related to autism prevalence in 2002. Autism count data from the Texas Educational Agency and environmental mercury release data from the Environmental Protection Agency were used. We found that for every 1000 pounds of industrial release, there was a corresponding 2.6% increase in autism rates (p<.05) and a 3.7% increase associated with power plant emissions(P<.05). Distances to these sources were independent predictors after adjustment for relevant covariates. For every 10 miles from industrial or power plant sources, there was an associated decreased autism Incident Risk of 2.0% and 1.4%, respectively (p<.05).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3114825/

Living near a freeway was associated with autism. Examination of associations with measured air pollutants is needed.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1353829204001170

The association between environmentally released mercury, special education and autism rates in Texas was investigated using data from the Texas Education Department and the United States Environmental Protection Agency. A Poisson regression analysis adjusted for school district population size, economic and demographic factors was used. There was a significant increase in the rates of special education students and autism rates associated with increases in environmentally released mercury. On average, for each 1000 lb of environmentally released mercury, there was a 43% increase in the rate of special education services and a 61% increase in the rate of autism.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Our OT is convinced this is true. I haven't really formulated an opinion.
trippyhippy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:29 PM
I think it's pollution and toxins in general especially the toxins seeping out of plastics.
KatyTylersMom
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Here's the further issue though - say that tomorrow they find the cause of autism and it's a buildup of these 10 chemicals/pollutants in our bodies.  What then?  Yes, maybe it opens the door to some treatments and I think for most of us at first having a TREATMENT for autism would be enough.  BUT.  Eventually SOMEONE will need to sue SOMEONE for doing this to our kids.  Who then?  Every chemical plant in the country?  The government for not enacting or enforcing the pollution laws?  The vaccine manufacturers if they are found to be involved?  It is not going to be pretty and there are so many ASD kids and adults that would demand financial compensation for what they've been through that it's a pretty big incentive to NOT find the cause. 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I saw this article and I don't really know what to think anymore. It seems at least once a month a study is coming out that has found a link to the cause of autism. It seems almost everything can be linked to it if they look at it a certain way. I am not saying the study is wrong but for now it's just another "possibility" to a cause. 

Tigersbiz
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:28 PM

All these posts are dead on they're so many toxins in the air as well as in our homes and we can't possible eliminate them all. Did you know that home is where you are most likely to be exposed to toxic chemicals? After all you spend 80-90% of your time indoors, most of that at home. This fact is important when you understand that in one five year study, the EPA found that airborne chemical levels in the home were were as much as seventy times higher then outside. Exposure to toxic indoor air may have a devastating effect on your health. One fifteen year study showed woman that worked at home had a 54% higher death rate from cancer then woman who had jobs outside of the home. These toxins that are in our every day personal and cleaning products are contributing to so many illnesses including Autism and people need to be made aware of this. I have access to several documented studies as well as an overview call that can get you all the information on these toxic chemicals and what  they are doing to your family and loved ones and I can provide you with a much more cost effective and safer product without all those nasty toxins. Please send me an email and I would be happy to get you all the details. tigerbiz@eastlink.ca

lhiannan
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely.  I've been saying for a few years that I thought it had an environmental basis.  We're exposed thousands of chemicals everyday-they're in our food, water, shampoos, etc.  Not to mention in the air. 

Del672
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I've been suspicious for a long time now.  I live in a small city, and there are no freeways, no nuclear plants (although there is one 1 1/2 hours from here).  My dh and I were discussing this, plus we can't help wondering about what is in our food.  Do you notice how long some foods last now?  Like milk?  And then there is the hormones given to our animals, and God only knows what else.  There are alot of Autistic children here in our little city, I can't help being suspicious of our food comsumption.  It's so scary and heartbreaking.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN