Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

If I hear this again, I will scream!!!

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this

If I hear, "Look at the baby!" from a toddler, child, or adult, I will scream!

I'm SO tired of taking my kid out in public and people commenting that he is a baby.  It annoys the crap out of me!!!  He will be 5 YEARS OLD in a few months...far from a baby!

Okay...vent over...carry on:)

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blessedhappymom
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Its good to let it out :-)
charley31
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Here's the best place to vent. Im sorry for any aggravation you deal with...hugs to you! Youre stronger than me I havent been going out unless I have my husband, my mom, or ryans therapist. Im afraid ill become as ignorant as the people that give their dirty looks or make their rude comments. The last time I went out just ryan and I was a few weeks ago it took everything in me not to ask the ignorant woman if she wanted to take a pic of my son rather than staring at him. I smiled the biggest smile I could make at her and went back to focusing on ryan.
A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM
2 moms liked this

My 3 year old thinks all little kids are babies (even if they are older than her).  I can't help but laugh at her sometimes.

We went camping a couple of weeks ago.  She saw a little boy probably about her age, and she walked right past him and approached his mom.  She pointed at him and says "Is he a baby or not a baby?"  (This is her favorite way to phrase a question "Are we having ice cream or not ice cream?  "Are we going home or not home?" etc).  The dad told her that he was sort of in between not really a baby but not a big kid either.  She looks at him as serious as she can be and says "Can I pet him?"

I do not know what is with her and petting babies, but I cannot make her understand that she can't go around petting babies or asking to pet babies.

KatyTylersMom
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I can see why that would annoy you.  But in some ways I think it's really observant of those kids to realize that your kid might be big, but on the inside is really a much younger child.  I guess I'd prefer "oh look at the baby" to "whoa what a weirdo what's wrong with him?" you know?  At least they are simply recognizing a developmental delay rather than instantly judging him as weird or strange and avoiding him. 

My son just turned 3, is the biggest damn 3 year old you'll ever see, and is mentally about 18 months old in terms of his language and ability to understand things.  He is sweet and silly and mostly the kids at the playground just treat him like the 18 month old that he is.  They don't judge him, get mad at him, or get freaked out by him, but if they're older kids they avoid him just as they would any baby who can't keep up with them.  So I don't take it amiss.  My 4.5 year old daughter is much closer developmentally to her chronological age and so the kids see that and expect more from her in terms of understanding their games or talking to her - now she can't always do the things they expect and they might ask me things like "why does she talk funny" and I'll just explain that she can't talk as well as they can and if they don't understand her to just ask her what she said.  They generally shrug and go off and play with her no problem. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM

That is precious!  Kids that age are just curious and they honestly don't know any better and aren't quite old enough to understand.  Small children don't really bother me...it's the older ones that point, comment, and whisper.

Quoting A_McCool:

My 3 year old thinks all little kids are babies (even if they are older than her).  I can't help but laugh at her sometimes.

We went camping a couple of weeks ago.  She saw a little boy probably about her age, and she walked right past him and approached his mom.  She pointed at him and says "Is he a baby or not a baby?"  (This is her favorite way to phrase a question "Are we having ice cream or not ice cream?  "Are we going home or not home?" etc).  The dad told her that he was sort of in between not really a baby but not a big kid either.  She looks at him as serious as she can be and says "Can I pet him?"

I do not know what is with her and petting babies, but I cannot make her understand that she can't go around petting babies or asking to pet babies.

mamaboys0207
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM
2 moms liked this

That does sound aggravating :( Sorry you have to deal with that...and if you scream I wont hold it against you!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Good point!

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

I can see why that would annoy you.  But in some ways I think it's really observant of those kids to realize that your kid might be big, but on the inside is really a much younger child.  I guess I'd prefer "oh look at the baby" to "whoa what a weirdo what's wrong with him?" you know?  At least they are simply recognizing a developmental delay rather than instantly judging him as weird or strange and avoiding him. 

My son just turned 3, is the biggest damn 3 year old you'll ever see, and is mentally about 18 months old in terms of his language and ability to understand things.  He is sweet and silly and mostly the kids at the playground just treat him like the 18 month old that he is.  They don't judge him, get mad at him, or get freaked out by him, but if they're older kids they avoid him just as they would any baby who can't keep up with them.  So I don't take it amiss.  My 4.5 year old daughter is much closer developmentally to her chronological age and so the kids see that and expect more from her in terms of understanding their games or talking to her - now she can't always do the things they expect and they might ask me things like "why does she talk funny" and I'll just explain that she can't talk as well as they can and if they don't understand her to just ask her what she said.  They generally shrug and go off and play with her no problem. 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:33 PM

So sorry you are going through this. I know that it can be frustrating and you just want to yell at them. Do you say anything to these people. I would probably say something if it were me lol. Hugs momma. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Nope.  I don't say anything unless they ask me a question.  I typically just walk away and then get my feelings hurt, wake up the next morning and move on:)

Quoting JTMOM422:

So sorry you are going through this. I know that it can be frustrating and you just want to yell at them. Do you say anything to these people. I would probably say something if it were me lol. Hugs momma. 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

It's like that question " what's wrong with him"  they aren't always asking me but I hear them say it. I get upset and just want to take him as far away as possible to protect him. 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Nope.  I don't say anything unless they ask me a question.  I typically just walk away and then get my feelings hurt, wake up the next morning and move on:)

Quoting JTMOM422:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN