Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Does it get easier??

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM
  • 17 Replies
My 5yr old son has mild asd does it get easier as they grow?? does anyone have an older child??
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes. But it all depends. My son is 11 years old, limited verbal but very good comprehension. We dine out, watch movies, travel and etc. Discipline is the key.

Just hang on there. It will just pass.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

girl_incognito
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I do mine is 15... it does get easier. He has aspergers (mild autism) as well. 

He was about 13.5 when it really started to get better. Communication is getting easier, etc... The behaviors are different, he is not hyperactive and running all the time.

For us it wasn't about discipline, it was about learning to listen and helping him communicate what he was feeling with words... we problem solve as a team and talk a lot about choices.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM
4 moms liked this
My 12 year old is high functioning. I think it was easier to overlook when he was little... Many people couldn't understand why anyone would call him autistic.

As he's gotten older he's surprised me with his independence ... I tend to smother my kids and he's my baby, so I never give them the chance to do things for themselves. I also had a preconceived notion about autistic kids and was afraid he'd be more dependent on me. He super smart in school (except math) and has the cutest sense of humor... Both things I never expected. Many things are much easier for him but many things were never an issue bc he was high functioning. As far as for me, the place it never gets any easier on is my heart....

To be honest my big worry will always be what will happen to him once Dh and I are gone, but I worry about that with all my kids.

I can promise you that your son will amaze you with the things he will do in the years to come. There will always be hardships with life, but there will Many things he will conquer and succeed at!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't want to speak for everyone but Ashton was dx at 3.5 and it was really hard between the ages 5 and right before his 7th birthday. He is 8.5 nd honestly he is so much easier now. Everything is going great for him and he is mastering new skills, starting to make friends and had a great year at school. Now, his therapist is telling me when he hits puberty it could get hard again.. 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM

My son is only 3 so I have no idea. From what I have read from other moms on here there will be times when things will get rough around puberty. I am hoping for smooth sailing lol time will only tell

kajira
by Emma on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I know that being an adult with autism is a lot easier than when I was a child. I can advocate for myself a lot better, communicate more effectively, and since I understand (why) I'm so different, I can work with, and around it instead of allowing it to get me so frustrated I just freak out - and can try to clear up misunderstandings and know it's not always "my fault" in the sense that people misunderstood me and I can request them to actually *listen* to me instead of just freaking out on them when they make decisions based on something I didn't say, or didn't mean.

Puberty will be hard for a while. There's so many changes, and transitions that happen around that stage. You'll really want to be supportive and offer an open ear to listen and be willing to advocate for them. That will really be the time to teach them skills for adulthood, including understanding what autism is, and what it means for them in their life so they can actively work on understanding themselves better.

Understanding will give them the biggest keys to adulthood for success.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, this!

I could have written every word! LOL

Quoting girl_incognito:

I do mine is 15... it does get easier. He has aspergers (mild autism) as well. 

He was about 13.5 when it really started to get better. Communication is getting easier, etc... The behaviors are different, he is not hyperactive and running all the time.

For us it wasn't about discipline, it was about learning to listen and helping him communicate what he was feeling with words... we problem solve as a team and talk a lot about choices.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unusualmom
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:05 AM
1 mom liked this
My son is 10 - severe asd. For us it hasnt gotten easier. We get over one hump and have to start climbing another.
Jaimielorai
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes, my son just turned 10, I think at this point we have reached a point of other than him being hyper at time, with outburst every so often most really not notice.  I now hear oh he is a boy they dont talk much and they are lazy!  We know better.  The numerous doctors told us that with maturity there is growth and improvement, they were right.  It was a long journey.  The thing that I appreciated is I documented via video a lot of the old stuff so the difference is drastic.  YOu have a lot to look forward to!

terri-553
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Thomas is 10 (grandson)everyday is new,we just start over everyday,Put one foot in front of the other,just move forward,Remember these kids are just human beings having  a moment/bad day,just like you/I .have a nice day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)