Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Mess! --- A vent!

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM
  • 4 Replies
Do you know how many times I cleaned up my 10 years olds toys today! Well - you probably do because you do it too. He just goes over to the toys and takes his hand and scoops them all out like a shovel! I get on him and make him clean it up so what does he do? Takes his foot and kinda shoves everything over to the general area they need to be at. Its really getting on my nerves! Its ridiculous!
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Eve-marie
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 5:40 PM

When my older boys were small I picked up at night after they were sleeping. Now I tell them to pick up. The oldest is 12 with autism and he watches and copies the younger ones. I can get him to wash his plate now too.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I feel like all I do is either tell my kids to pick up their stuff or do it myself because I am exhausted. Wth my son on the spectrum, it is his dvds..he gets them out every day and does not put them away.  I have to tell him 5 times and threaten to take them away before he finally does it..  I hear your frustration, mama!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM

My son did this too in his room. So I removed most of the toys. He had a couple books and a few cars in his room. He is only 3 and if he couldn't keep them from covering his bedroom floor then I wasn't going to clean them everyday. He has gradually gotten some of them back since he will clean up now. 

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Yeah, I feel like I'm constantly cleaning up after DS. He is getting better, though. 

DH and I made sort of a "chore chart" but we wrote across the top "Did I Remember To...." and then under neath it reminds him to brush his teeth, pick up toys before bedtime, and put away any books. 

Most nights it works well, then there are some nights we have to fight a little with him to be responsible and pick up his toys. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN