Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Applying For Disability - Help

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:53 PM
  • 6 Replies

Is there anyone that would be willing to talk me through the proccess of applying for disability? I am not good when it comes to paperwork and am having a hard time processing everything. I would really appreciate any help. You can private message me. Thanks in advance. 

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I havent been through it but I will bump this post in hopes that someone can help you.

Cooperfamily
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this
You just call the ssi office to set up an appt. You will need all your childs paperwork from drs, therapist and schools. Have everything documented. Have as much paperwork as you can, because that's one of the best ways of getting approved. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. :-)
blessedhappymom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Is there an agency in your area that offers free case management? If so, i would highly consider getting your chikd a case manager. They can help you with everything and put you in touch with local resources.
Jenniy
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I did it all online, it was really simple and no paperwork to lose.  They sent me a few letters, did the phone interview, then I had to fill out some release papers and one more interview.  It took 2 months for J to be approved and 4 for T to be approved.

kppalm
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:35 AM

He has seen a few different therapists and doctors. Do I just call their offices and ask for his files? I mean, can I do that? That is what I am confused about. I have everything from school, like his IEP and testing and all that but I don't have anything from the therapists or doctors. 

-BeautifulRose-
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM
At our local social security office, they got all his records. I did not submit anything. They just asked where my son has been seen and I signed a release for them to get the information.

They did end up needing more tests (hearing, speech and an evaluation) because they weren't in his medical records, just in his school records.

The process was about 3 months long. I was surprised at how fast it was for us.

Quoting kppalm:

He has seen a few different therapists and doctors. Do I just call their offices and ask for his files? I mean, can I do that? That is what I am confused about. I have everything from school, like his IEP and testing and all that but I don't have anything from the therapists or doctors. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)