Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Unique Brain Pattern Could Predict Autism in Youngest Children

Posted by   + Show Post

I was just reading an article on Time Magazine that said that scientists found stronger connections within many critical brain networks in the autistic children, including those responsible for introspection, vision and movement.  

It also said that they also saw more robust links in networks that help the brain to triage the flood of incoming information from both our bodies and our environment that assaults us constantly. Called the salience network, it’s responsible for determining which internal or external sensations need our immediate attention. Using a computer program that the researchers developed to make sense of the brain imaging data, they found that by mapping the salience network alone, they could accurately classify autistic or non-autistic children in their study 78% of the time β€” and could do so 83% of the time using data from other researchers.

The findings suggest that from an early age, children with autism develop differently from those without the condition, and that these changes may be detectable through brain imaging.

What do you think?  Is this good news?  Has your child had brain imaging done?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Replies (11-12):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Goodness..... did you have any complications with his birth? Did the drs explain what white spots mean? My daughter's getting an mri done next week and I'm really nervous. 

Quoting ReitchtotheStars:

my little guys mri just came back at age 5 with lots of bright white spots on his scan.  

They are doing lots of tests now.  

It took me years to get this done because the dr just kept saying he could just have a big head.  When they measure it, it is abnormally large.  My dh has a big head but not like my son's.  

Nick's autism was diagnoised by primary care at 9 months and offcially around 12 months by a dev ped and had therapy by 18 months.  

ReachtotheStars
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM

pretty average birth and average baby.  

Usually lots of tiny white spots are found in older people who have severe migraines, but even then they don't know why.  

They have no idea what the two larger white spots on his left frontal lobe are.  

The dr ran tons of tests and they all came back normal.  

He is now being sent to a geneticists after a second round of testing.  The neurologist thinks it might be a mitochondrial disorder, but they still don't really know.  

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Goodness..... did you have any complications with his birth? Did the drs explain what white spots mean? My daughter's getting an mri done next week and I'm really nervous. 

Quoting ReitchtotheStars:

my little guys mri just came back at age 5 with lots of bright white spots on his scan.  

They are doing lots of tests now.  

It took me years to get this done because the dr just kept saying he could just have a big head.  When they measure it, it is abnormally large.  My dh has a big head but not like my son's.  

Nick's autism was diagnoised by primary care at 9 months and offcially around 12 months by a dev ped and had therapy by 18 months.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN