Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What do you wish people with "typically" developing kids could understand about your life parenting a child with autism?

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you wish people with "typically" developing kids could understand about your life parenting a child with autism?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Replies (21-30):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:44 AM

LOVE this!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I don't care if a typical parent ever understands the stress and business of my day, the medical complications, and long term responsibilities that come with it.  What i think they should understand is my kids are more like theirs than they are different.  And even if mine do things differently or on their own time line developmentally, they are not an inadequate person because of it.  SN kids want love, fun, support, safely, etc just like any other child.  And they want to be treated with the same fairness and equality that they would want for their child.  They would not appreciate if I made fun of their child, why make fun of mine?

terri-553
by Terri on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:21 AM

I don;t want/care what people think,Just don;t treat Thomas differnet,As he just a 10 year old boy,he is very sweet,loving/he has his moments after all he is human,Shame on anyone who treats him any other way,(he is my g/son)And I love him for who he is not because he/Victoria(my other g/kid) have SN:s  they are who they are.love them all the same

Reina67
by Lisa on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:26 AM
I make the decisions that are right for my children. I'm not here to please them.
Basherte
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:25 AM

All I want other people to understand is this:

My son is different not less.

He does things differently at times, and sees things differently.

He is NOT less than any other child.

CafeMom Tickers
johnns
by Johnna on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM
I don't like questions like this. For one, I am a parent to 2 healthy teenage boys, and one little girl- ASD. I've been on both sides.
The only thing that 'others' need to know is I am a force not to be wreakened with- when it comes to my family. I will not tolerate my kids treating others badly, nor will I take mistreatment to mine. We can only control our actions, how we respond. Sally is a handful, no doubt about that! It takes my whole clan to keep up with her. When she is in the 'mainstream', its her that is different, not the other kids. It's her that plays different. Sally isn't (not yet anyways), even aware that anyone treats her different. It hurts. Sure, were not in this 'club' because of having NT kids. But I'm responsible for her. Her safety to herself and others are #1. The wellbeing of the rest of us who live with Sally- probably #2. That in itself takes up most of my time- I'm already spread so thin, that others , well I don't care. If you've got the patients & love for my family, then your 'in', and were grateful, if not- alrighty then!

johnns
by Johnna on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:01 AM
As a sidenote, I've got a 9 yro NT little girl staying here last 2 nights. She's my bff's niece. Shes in for the summer. Her mom needs a 'break' from her during the summer, so she gets shipped out every summer to my friends house. No lie- sent there without a dime no doubt.So....it dawns on me last night that 1) Sally worships the ground she walks on, 2), she hasn't given Sally the time of day. MY feelings were hurt. Then I talk to DH, and he brings in a new prospective. Says how much he feels sorry for her, being abandoned and all. Good point. Just when I thought I had it bad, right? All in how you look at it I guess!
unusualmom
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:29 AM

That my house will always be a mess - even when I just spent 2 hrs deep cleaning.  There is no way I can stop it and currently there is no way to stop my severe asd son from destroying everything in his path.  Do I want my house a mess?  No - but right now I cant help it.

mariat2
by Maria on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:08 PM
My son is being rude or insensitive because its part of his autism.He can do most things nt do but he thinks differently.
TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I'm trying as hard as I can, and that I can't do things they can. I can't take my son and daughter to the pool by myself because my son needs 100% attention, but my daughter also needs attention. It's just too dangerous. I also like to have friends, but if I can't always go to that birthday party then I am just a snob (according to them). My life has to revolve around my children. So, therefore, I have no friends. It's pretty lonely.

VioletsMomTown
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I just wish everyone could see their potential, and help us remember that when we have hard days. You never want someone standing there feeling sorry for you, our kids are such a blesssing and we don't ever want to put into the position of having to defend why we think they're so awesome.

Violet's Mom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN