Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What do you wish people with "typically" developing kids could understand about your life parenting a child with autism?

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you wish people with "typically" developing kids could understand about your life parenting a child with autism?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Replies (31-40):
olleo
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this
Amen!!! I am so sick if the phrase, "have you thought about spanking him".

Whether you elect to spank or not, autism isn't a disciplinary disorder.

Quoting SnowWhieQueen:

that my boys are not bad....im so sick of people saying i dont know how to discipline them...or tell me i dont know how to be a parent because my 6 yr olds not potty trained....i have 4 other kids they all use the potty just fine..

olleo
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't tell me that you're sisters boyfriends aunt has a child that they think has autism so you know all about it. No you don't. Unless you are raising a child on the spectrum yourself, you don't have a clue.

There's nothing they can understand about us unless they are us. The thing I wish for though is more education and less ignorance on the subject.
imgonbamommy
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this
2 things;
1- when I tell you my dd has autism don't look at me with pity!! She is truly amazing and a blessing in my life! Don't pity me, I'm very lucky!!
2-just because she is autistic doesn't make her stupid! Don't talk to her like she is!! She is incredible intelligent, she understands you, she just doesn't want to listen to you!
imgonbamommy
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM
*incredibly
eblstanford03
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM
I would just like it if people would stop sayin IM SORRY. Or give me this look of pity when I tell them my daughter has asperger syndrome. It is really annoying and just plain rude
HS4321
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:08 PM
2 moms liked this

When my son was young and times were really tough, I worked with a woman who would often brag about her childrens' phenomenal accomplishments.  I wish she would have displayed just a little sensitivity, as it was extremely painful for me to hear this while my son was struggling for little "victories" on a daily basis.

CEF1980
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Quoting bakelady:

I wish others could understand how it feels to have total strangers stare, judge, make assumptions, roll their eyes, shake their heads and even shy away from us. I wish they would understand we just want to be accepted, loved, and respected.

Last year when my ASD son was 4 we took him on an airplane for the first time. The flight had a layover and while waiting to board the connecting flight he started melting down. I tried to diffuse it but by the time we got on the plane he was in full melt down mode. I was trying to buckle him in while he was screaming at the top of his lungs. He was covered in sweat and his clothes and hair were wet. I could hear the business men and singles start to grumble. Then he bit me so hard he drew blood on my bicep. I had my palm on his forehead trying to get him to let go. About that time an elderly woman diagonal from us started commenting loudly that if I touched that child one more time she was calling dcfs. When I finally got him belted in I felt a warm sensation down my left leg. He purposely wet his pants. That's when the tears stared. There is a good ending to this, I promise. As I tried to stifle my sobs I felt a hand on my shoulder from the seat behind me. It was a mother with her husband and two young children. She told me that she sat behind me on purpose. She told me to ignore everyone else and she knew we were trying our best. Then another family sat in the seats in front of us. Both of their children had special needs. The father winked at us and said he was on our side. Then the Southwest airline stuardess brought me a bag of ice for my arm and a glass of wine. I didn't even ask. So...the point of my story here is that to every 10 assholes who make comments and judge there are about 50 strangers who care enough to pick you up and dust you off. I have a hard time remembering this a lot but its true. When you see that mother dragging her screaming child out to her car while trying to juggle 1000 other things in her hands offer to open her car door or carry her Starbucks that she will surely drop while trying not to drop her flailing child. It's the little things that count.

Monkeymama930
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:29 AM
It's not a disease
MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Ditto!

Quoting amonkeymom:

Amen!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I don't care if a typical parent ever understands the stress and business of my day, the medical complications, and long term responsibilities that come with it.  What i think they should understand is my kids are more like theirs than they are different.  And even if mine do things differently or on their own time line developmentally, they are not an inadequate person because of it.  SN kids want love, fun, support, safely, etc just like any other child.  And they want to be treated with the same fairness and equality that they would want for their child.  They would not appreciate if I made fun of their child, why make fun of mine?

Mothercardinal
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Just because my daughter is verbal and can socialize now doesn't not mean that was always the case.  My daughter was in speech therapy from the time she was 3 until she was 10.  It took 7 years to get her to where she is at and there are still times where her words get turned around.  It took all of her elementary school years just to get her up to speed socially and she still has her moments where she can be off putting to kids around her that are her age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN