Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What do you wish people with "typically" developing kids could understand about your life parenting a child with autism?

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you wish people with "typically" developing kids could understand about your life parenting a child with autism?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Replies (41-50):
mrsary
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this
This!

Quoting SAMI_JO:

Don't give advice unless we ask for it. Walk 24 hours in our shoes, they'll be thankful for what they have forever!

Mommyandliam
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Patience & understanding...maybe not to jump to opinions so quickly! I have worked for years with teens and adults with mental and physical disabilities, I wish parents that have "typical" kids took the time to get to know at least ONE parent of a special needs child...just to keep perspective and an understanding mind! I did this years ago and continued to so so for years! My mother said that it was God preparing to be the best mommy to Liam that I could be :)

SAMI_JO
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:09 AM

For ALL teachers, not just special ed teachers, EVERY TEACHER YOUNG, AND OLD, to be required to take training on how to deal with our kids. Then I think they should have to take care of a sn child for 24 hrs WITHOUT help, to see how hard it is, and alot of us are single parents!

sfmommy415
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this
That this toddler you see here isn't a brat & that me and my husband aren't raising a spoiled diva. People assume that children w/ Autism are brats and are rotten. I hate those stupid looks we get in public
sfmommy415
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Mobile Photo

My daughter Elizabeth, she puts the color inside of my world.
johnns
by Johnna on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:32 AM
That's so awesome, and true. Made me cry!!

Quoting CEF1980:

Quoting bakelady:

I wish others could understand how it feels to have total strangers stare, judge, make assumptions, roll their eyes, shake their heads and even shy away from us. I wish they would understand we just want to be accepted, loved, and respected.

Last year when my ASD son was 4 we took him on an airplane for the first time. The flight had a layover and while waiting to board the connecting flight he started melting down. I tried to diffuse it but by the time we got on the plane he was in full melt down mode. I was trying to buckle him in while he was screaming at the top of his lungs. He was covered in sweat and his clothes and hair were wet. I could hear the business men and singles start to grumble. Then he bit me so hard he drew blood on my bicep. I had my palm on his forehead trying to get him to let go. About that time an elderly woman diagonal from us started commenting loudly that if I touched that child one more time she was calling dcfs. When I finally got him belted in I felt a warm sensation down my left leg. He purposely wet his pants. That's when the tears stared. There is a good ending to this, I promise. As I tried to stifle my sobs I felt a hand on my shoulder from the seat behind me. It was a mother with her husband and two young children. She told me that she sat behind me on purpose. She told me to ignore everyone else and she knew we were trying our best. Then another family sat in the seats in front of us. Both of their children had special needs. The father winked at us and said he was on our side. Then the Southwest airline stuardess brought me a bag of ice for my arm and a glass of wine. I didn't even ask. So...the point of my story here is that to every 10 assholes who make comments and judge there are about 50 strangers who care enough to pick you up and dust you off. I have a hard time remembering this a lot but its true. When you see that mother dragging her screaming child out to her car while trying to juggle 1000 other things in her hands offer to open her car door or carry her Starbucks that she will surely drop while trying not to drop her flailing child. It's the little things that count.

Cubanmom84
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I wish they would ask instead of standing on the side lines looking at me like am a bad parent cause my son is having a tantrum lol and more acceptance, just accept the fact that not all of us are the same.

blessedhappymom
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM
That my son is not being disrepecful or rude when he doesnt answer your 20 questions that you keep reoeating to him, or doesnt always want to greet you with a hug and a kiss or wave hi or bye. That he senses things 100 times more than we do, so when my uncle with a mustache kisses him on the cheeks and he wipes it away, its because its painful for him not him being disrespectful.
mizz_mindylou
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM

that i dont blow of their childs bday parties at chucky cheese and mickey ds bc i dont care about them but that its to much commotion for him..I am always tired and grouchy not bc im lazy but bc he is more than a full time job that with my full time job and my 6yr old and im a single mom..just let me rest pleeeaaaseeee LOL

mizz_mindylou
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM

OMG BAWLIN MY EYES OUT!! i have been there and felt that pain and panic of everyone staring and making comments and wanting you to shutt your child up or "teach him how to act in public" buut to have all those pple there to catch you,lend you a hand or a smile is just amazing!!

Quoting johnns:

That's so awesome, and true. Made me cry!!

Quoting CEF1980:

Quoting bakelady:

I wish others could understand how it feels to have total strangers stare, judge, make assumptions, roll their eyes, shake their heads and even shy away from us. I wish they would understand we just want to be accepted, loved, and respected.

Last year when my ASD son was 4 we took him on an airplane for the first time. The flight had a layover and while waiting to board the connecting flight he started melting down. I tried to diffuse it but by the time we got on the plane he was in full melt down mode. I was trying to buckle him in while he was screaming at the top of his lungs. He was covered in sweat and his clothes and hair were wet. I could hear the business men and singles start to grumble. Then he bit me so hard he drew blood on my bicep. I had my palm on his forehead trying to get him to let go. About that time an elderly woman diagonal from us started commenting loudly that if I touched that child one more time she was calling dcfs. When I finally got him belted in I felt a warm sensation down my left leg. He purposely wet his pants. That's when the tears stared. There is a good ending to this, I promise. As I tried to stifle my sobs I felt a hand on my shoulder from the seat behind me. It was a mother with her husband and two young children. She told me that she sat behind me on purpose. She told me to ignore everyone else and she knew we were trying our best. Then another family sat in the seats in front of us. Both of their children had special needs. The father winked at us and said he was on our side. Then the Southwest airline stuardess brought me a bag of ice for my arm and a glass of wine. I didn't even ask. So...the point of my story here is that to every 10 assholes who make comments and judge there are about 50 strangers who care enough to pick you up and dust you off. I have a hard time remembering this a lot but its true. When you see that mother dragging her screaming child out to her car while trying to juggle 1000 other things in her hands offer to open her car door or carry her Starbucks that she will surely drop while trying not to drop her flailing child. It's the little things that count.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)