Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What has been the most unexpected thing about parenting a child with autism?

Posted by   + Show Post

What has been the most unexpected thing about parenting a child with autism?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Replies (11-20):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM
2 moms liked this

I think finding out that I am much stronger than I have imagined. I have done things I never thought possible and got over my fear of what others think of me. I have found my voice for my child, made friends with other moms with kids with autism, educated friends and family and I feel like I am respected.

terri-553
by Terri on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:27 AM

The power of loving that child holds,It seems to me a child w/any level of Austism understands love/support,Or maybe it just my way of thinking,Thomas (g/son)is 10 he gets humor,love/huggs.And I believe he understands being loved means,he has anger issuses like yestersday he took a nap missed his afternoon show was he ever mad,but after awhile he got okay.He has days like everyone else.but no matter what happens I say I love you Thomas at the end of the day,Love him no matter what kind of day he has,Ater all he is only human he only has SNeeds it doesn;t change anything,Thomas has Austism,Austism doesn;t have Thomas

shugerbit
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:28 AM

One is how many people actually have no clue what autism is, or have one preconceived notion about what it is. Also I have learned to fully appreciate all of his many accomplishments, no matter how big or small! 

karenax
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:54 AM

My son has taught me patience. He is my youngest (my 4th, my husbands 1st) of three children. In my previous marriage with the three children I lacked patience but with my youngest I learned quickly.

However, I miss the connection that I had with my older children. We've adapted over the years.  I am still learning through him.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:01 AM

That's a great question! First thing that comes to mind is that how very proud and emotional I get at the smallest things he does. My older two are at the top of their classes but I swear I'm the most proud with Dillon. Shhh....dont tell the other two. LOL

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:02 AM
1 mom liked this

OH! And the compassion it's brought to my whole family. My husband is a teacher with several special needs kids  (vocational teacher) and having Dillon has made him such a softy!

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:01 AM

The most unexpected thing is how much my daughter has actually taught me, she's made me a better person.

Violet's Mom

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:25 PM

he always knows more than i think he does

MzScorpio227
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Checking his level of understanding things. Discipline has been an issue because when I tell DS what he did was wrong and that he shouldn't do it. Sometimes I think he says yes just to brush me off, because he does it again.
TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM

The time it takes, the patience, and the stress. Starting ABA soon and we will be doing 12 hours a week... I have no idea how that's going to be done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)