Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What has been the most unexpected thing about parenting a child with autism?

Posted by   + Show Post

What has been the most unexpected thing about parenting a child with autism?

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Replies (21-30):
Monkeymama930
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:41 PM
That my son does love me.
mommy4lyf
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:49 PM

That I will be able to learn how to listen with my heart instead of my ear. To read his expressions without saying a word (non verbal till 6).

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

Mommyandliam
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:05 AM
Autism in and of itself seems to be just full of surprises! Lol

I am surprised that he is so so smart! That he makes so much progress! I'm aware of others ideas of progress and I know that it is different. So I'm surprised by how much a tiny improvement makes me so proud!

He never stops surprising me! Just when I think he may never "get it" he does!

Others ignorance towards autism is VERY surprising!

And at the same time, how accommodating other are when they find out he is autistic!
unusualmom
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:56 AM
They love and creativeness they share with my world.
Jaimielorai
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:41 AM

I think the unexpected thing for me is how quickly I was to click in as a mom because of a child with Autism, how quickly I became and advocate how quick I was to throw everything to the side and reassess things in my life to adjust to the next issue.  I think that probably applies to all of us.  We are able to bend adjust, go without sleep find help therapies, make those long trips, sit thru those sessions, work thru tandrum potty training, uncontroled behaviors out of nowhere and still hold on, while others look in shock and horror not imagining how we could deal with such things.  At the end of the day when my child has worn himself out or I have exercised or played with him and worked with him, all day tell he just gives up, I look at his beautiful sleeping face so calm and content because he feels safe I know, I made it thur another day and I know I have enough to go on, right after I run to my bed fall asleep as fast as I can before He jumps up Yelling, "Im UP JUice Please!  LOL

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:44 AM

How strong it has made me, I have done things I never thought I could do and faced challenges I never thought I could face. And the love I feel for my son is so profound...didn't know that kind of love existed. XO

mommyto3121405
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM

the frustration with communication and simple tasks. the amount of time it takes to transition . the demaninding routine. though my son is so much better since he got the ipad. potty training woul dbe nic ebut he doesnt seem to understand the concept at all

MunchiesMom324
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Mine full on assaulted me when i was 6m pregnant because I wouldn't let him finish a show in the waiting room at the dr office. He was almost 7.

Quoting SAMI_JO:

How  violent he can be. He kicked me in the back of the head this evening, and has NO remorse. Just more anger because I won't let him have company or go anywhere for the next 9 days.

Basherte
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM

The most unexpected thing for my family is all the support we have been given. Freely, and openly. (I don't mean financial support, but moral support)

I would have never guessed that so many people would understand what we are going through, or that the ones that didn't understand or barely ever heard of autism, would actually ask questions about it, then every time they see us, would ask how things are going. Then actually listen to us.

It started with early intervention. Of course they are paid to do that stuff, but you still find people that have attitudes. We didn't have a single person that had an attitude.  His preschool is amazing. He had one teacher when he started and now has another teacher. The first one retired.  He transitioned with that really well.

We don't have transportation. We can take a bus to the city, but there is no transportation for around where we live. The teacher from the preschool  came to our house to meet my son and to have me sign paperwork. Then when she was retiring, her and the new teacher came to our house for an IEP meeting, so that my son could meet the new teacher. Within minutes of meeting the new teacher, my son was initiating interaction with the new teacher. I was so proud. The new teacher (John) bent at his knees to get down to my son's level and interacted with him. My son was smiling, giggling, and having a lot of fun.  They were here at our house for about 45 minutes. It was amazing.

The neighbors ask about him and talk to him often. Even the people at the gas station ask about our son. Talk to him when he's there, and know when to physically back off as well. They are learning his cues as well.

It was unexpected that our son would receive this much understanding, this much positive attention.

We are very lucky.

CafeMom Tickers
angeliabell
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Well said!!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

That I can say I have a non-verbal, hearing impaired, severely developmentally delayed down syndrome daughter with a gamete of medical needs, and it is not even on our radar as the difficult part of our daily life.  The Autism that affects my son in our daily lives is more demanding and harder to manage on a regular basis.  I am not pitting one child against the other, nor one disability over another, I'm saying for our family, the daily complications of one compared to the other, the Autism is more difficult to manage.  Either of their medical issues will always trump the developmental delay concerns for us.  But the restrictions that come to our life with my autistic son's sensory issues, screaming behaviors, inability to transition/change, or be in public is what dictates what our family is able to do and how we can function.  It is also the issue we seem to be unable to find best how to help him with regardless of all the therapies and diet changes he tries.  I have no problem that my son is autistic.  I just want him to be the happiest he can be with what he was given, and I can not say we are there yet for him.  But he is an amazing kid, and we'll find it somehow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)