Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Head Start? Did it help?

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:26 AM
  • 11 Replies

We've been getting Speech, OT, and PT for our 3.5 year old for the last 15 months, while my husband and I were in school in Atlanta.  We've recently moved to a very small town because of our jobs, and are finding that there are very few resources available here.  Despite all of the information and evaluations I had for him, the pediatrician wouldn't even give me the name of a practice without first seeing my son, so we did that.  We've never had a formal diagnosis because we didn't need it with our insurance.  We are just now starting to pursue that at the recommendation of a few people we trust.  (Everyone of his therapists agreed that he was on the spectrum, just couldn't give a formal medical diagnosis.)  It's been an emotional few days for me.

Anyway, the pediatrician diagnosed him as speech delayed, and gave us a reference to a psychologist to get the autism diagnosis.  He also called Head Start to get my son enrolled in that.  My question is, has anyone else done Head Start?  Did it help?  What did you think of it?  

Thanks!

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Head Start is a type of preschool program for developmentally delayed children...at least that is what it is where I live. Good luck mama!
EthansMomma2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Head Start is all ecompassing for delayed, low income, and at risk kids. If you child is mild to moderate they will try to put him with a class that is half peers nt and half delayed peers. that's what they do here anyway. severe kids idk what they do. we haven't started it yet, but i'm really excited for it. Ethan did so awesome in half day daycare and I can't wait for him to develop that way again and get that amazing input from peers and teachers again. also i was told that head start would give him 40 mins per week each of ot, pt, and st in school, so i would say go for it!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:19 PM

My kids have not attended one but from wht I've heard the ones in my area are not ran very well. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I always thought of Head Start as a preschool for kids who are at risk or economically disadvantaged. Usually the preschool in the school districts have their own preschools and they take the kids who have delays. Its when kids don't qualify for the early childhood special ed preschool that they get referred to Head Start (but of course, they have to meet income requirements). 

I think almost ANY preschool is beneficial. Well, as long as it is high quality. I"m sure there are plenty of crappy preschools out there and I wouldn't consider those. 

If I were you, I'd start with the school district. See if you can get your child on an IEP. 

Stephw1110
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:51 AM
I think some smaller school corporations use their head start for their developmentally delayed preschool. One of the social service programs in our city actually offers a developmentally delayed preschool class so that's what my son (3) will be doing in the fall. I do know where my parents live, a town of about 10,000, SN attend the local head start.
Chirinos
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Both of my boys were in Head Start and ours is a pre-school program for low income families. I feel that head Start helped prepare the boys for regular school. My oldest went 1 year and done great he will be a fifth grader in the fall. My youngest went for 2.5 years he struggled for the longest time but is doing great now. He no longer needs the special education class room anymore and he'll be a third grader in the fall. Now my oldest still needs the special education room and possibly his entire time he's in school he is PDD, ADHD, Sensory Pro easing Disorder, and Development Delays.
kjlmommy
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Thanks for the input!  It is so new to us, even though we've been doing therapy for him for over a year.  I've never had to deal with school systems and things like that because my oldest child is just entering kindergarten this year.  I appreciate the information and advice!

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM

We didn't do headstart, but we did preschool. It really helped my son!

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:14 PM

yes , it helped in many ways , and helps prepare to start school because it is school

kquad
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:53 AM

My youngest did in our area an dit really helped.  good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)