Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What are some things that you let your kid do that parents of NT kids won't let them do?

Posted by   + Show Post

I read a blog post this morning about a parent who lets her autistic child do things that she felt most parents of typical kids don't let their kids do.... things like: 

• eating with their hands
  • running in the hallway
  • drinking coffee

So... are there things that you let your child do that most parents wouldn't let their (NT) kid do?

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
EthansMomma2010
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM

nothing. i mean he is developmnetally behind so he doesn't do stuff at the same age level, but i don't let him get away with stuff. my goal is to mainstream him someday so he needs to learn the rules.

newmommy430
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:39 PM
I let mine eat with his hands. He's not very good with the fork and the spoon yet. I have him do a couple bites and then he can eat the rest with his hands.

This is something that I'm going to start working on with him more soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maciymommieof3
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:01 PM

not sure....my nt and aspie and asd kids all do the same thing for the most part...just in different ways

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I don't know..I have let my typical kids do some of things I let Ashton do because I don't want to set him apart or treat them differently.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I can't really think of anything. We are pretty laid back over here but all our kids have the same expectations. For example, I wouldn't let my 3 year old push or hurt another child just b/c he seems to be aggressive and might be ASD. 

Lydlou02
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:29 AM
Run around in just a pull up, not pottytrain by age 8, put stickers on walls furniture and ceiling.
heck, I even hung a swing in the doorway for her, id never of thought of that for a NT child, they can play outside with limited supervision after all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Dillon probably gets away with murder if you were to ask my older two...lol.

Stephw1110
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:36 AM
I definitely do the eating with his hands thing. Honestly, If he's eating something I don't care how it gets in there. We encourage utensil use it just doesn't always happen. Also, I'm a little more lenient on what he actually eats. If all he wants to eat for lunch is potato chips then he can. We try to provide the least stressful environment when it's meal time. I always offer healthy options along with junk and he has started switching over. We do the videos at meals out a lot but he's actually doing much better eating out these days and very rarely use it. I'm not as strict about cleaning up after himself as I would be with NT. we are working on it.
Basherte
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I allow my son to eat with his fingers as well, but we are working on getting him to use utensils.Most of the foods he likes are finger foods though. Pizza is one of them, and a good way to "sneak" veggies into him, as it's the only way that we've found that he will eat any veggies.

I also play a movie all day long. Different movies, just the ones he likes, and only while he's awake. He pays attention to them most of the time, but feels free to play as well, and comes to us to get us to watch his movie with him or get tickled as he needs it.

I also bought my son an indoor trampoline. Would have gone with an outdoor one, but we can't have one where we live. The gardeners wouldn't like it. He jumps on it whenever he wants to.

I let him self soothe in any way that he needs. He smacks his head, spins, wants to be left alone, or wants a piece of chocolate.

Oh... I feed my son the things he will eat, I don't force him to eat anything that he doesn't like. I do encourage him to try everything though. He is very willing to try it as often as I wish to ask him to do so, but he doesn't always like it. He tried capers the other day. He took it out of his mouth and put it back in a few times before he gave it to me with an expression of ew.

CafeMom Tickers
aakeiser
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:01 PM
When my son was younger I let him ride his bike in the house. It was à small tric. We have a built in china hutch in the middle of my house and I let my son run around the wall with the hutch in it..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN