Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What are some things that you let your kid do that parents of NT kids won't let them do?

Posted by   + Show Post

I read a blog post this morning about a parent who lets her autistic child do things that she felt most parents of typical kids don't let their kids do.... things like: 

• eating with their hands
  • running in the hallway
  • drinking coffee

So... are there things that you let your child do that most parents wouldn't let their (NT) kid do?

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Replies (21-28):
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Jun. 29, 2013 at 8:04 PM
having an ipad @ 3. he's 5 now but I bought it for him at 3. hes learned emotions and some words with it. it's good for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:00 PM

We don't really do anything differently. I try not to treat my son any differently, other than to accomodate some of his needs, such as communication device, dietary, and drinking soda. He doesn't eat desert foods like other kids can because of his allergies, so soda is one of those things that we let him have.

t1gger143
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:12 PM
I let him stand and eat, although we are working on sitting during meals. I let him eat way too much pizza. Literally 2-3 times a week. I don't expect him to clean up every little bit. I allow way too much computer time, but sometimes it's the only way he can calm down.
eblstanford03
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Nothing really. I hold my daughter to the same standard as my "normal" daughter.

Mommyandliam
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:24 AM
1 mom liked this
This cracked me up! I decided that my son must have needed some naked time because he started taking off his diaper and pooping in odd places! Friends and family all suggested that he was ready to potty train...WRONG!!! He is terrified of the potty! So I decided to approach potty training differently :) I started by allowing 15 minutes of naked time every time I changed his diaper. He was so liberated lol! Then he graduated to naked time after the bath, once he pees he has to go back into the diaper. This has taught him to hold it longer! After a couple weeks he was holding it on average for 2hrs at a time! Then I offered him the option of underwear that are very soft and he loved how they felt so much that he will stay dry on average 3-4hrs!!! And in the past couple weeks on occasion I will go into the bathroom and find pee in his potty chair!!! So GO LIAM!!! He does enjoy piddling it a little now and then when naked and it is not made a big deal of...my 7yr old daughter likes to point it out and tell me it's gross. I just smile and say "well, I told you boys are gross sometimes!"

Quoting Eve-marie:

Ian writes on the walls. I just get the steamer out every now and then and clean them off. After his bath he likes to chill out in the nude and play with himself a little. I leave him to it. He yells at me because he has no concept of acceptable speaking volume. I don't think it rude. He goes into a meltdown if he is too tired, and I tell him we're going home soon, instead of demanding he behave properly in public.

unusualmom
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:54 AM
I am a parent of both - 2 asd and 1 nt. I ave my nt kid help me out more than my asd kids. I just dont want to deal with the fight sometimes. Ummm - my 2nd asd son has horrible eating habits due to spd -- I let him eat whatever whenever. If I didnt then he would never eat. There is a ton of stuff. My brain is too fried to think of it.
NatureMomof3
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:28 AM
My aspire son still sucks his thumb at almost 8 years old. He does it to calm himself when he gets a sensory overload. I threw out the paci for the other kids at age 3.

I speak very bluntly with him and it is different from the way I speak to the other kids. It doesn't hurt his feelings for me to directly explain social situations and friendship whereas it would hurt his sister's feelings.

We are moving and everyone is stressed. However, I give him the most attention on coping with the change because it is hardest for him. I can't treat them the same because his needs are different. I never help him with homework because he doesn't need it. I help hi sister with math because it takes her longer to understand. They are all very different kids.
Joni-mom23
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM
I have 3 children. 1 nt and 2 typical I let them do pretty much all the same to an extent.
My nt son is 3 and is a very picky eater so if he won't eat what I make for them I allow him to eat whatever he want but not my typical children.
He may only take a few bites of food then run off and go to the cabinets wanting something else so I give it too him. He may have bananas,apples,grapes,oatmeal,chips,yogurt,or cookies ect. For dinner. Whereas I make my other two clean their plates first. The other two don't mind.
I also allow my nt to scream and have a meltdown(not like it can be helped) and my typical son if he start throwing a fit I send him to his room or put him in the corner.
My nt son has problems riding in a car when the car stops he has a meltdown ( I haven't figured out how to make this stop) so I give him suckers,candy,pop,ect which worked great for awhile but now its not,but I also allowed my other to have whatever he got.
My mil says that my kids are too babied but I don't care they are my kids and overall they are all pretty good kids. They are just little and all kids have fits,scream,and make messes rather they are nt or typical.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)