Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So my son's school...

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM
  • 12 Replies

So I got woken up by my MIL yesterday because a CPS worker was at our door.

From what the lady said the school had contacted her because my son (almost 4 and in prek) came to school with bug bites (mosquitoes are horrible here), a dirty pull up on (he is changed before he leaves and he rides the bus to school), and they said he smelled of urine (I give him a bath every night). So my main concern is that I have a feeling the CPS lady looked my son over at school. When he came home yesterday he wasn't acting like his normal self. He wouldn't really hug me, he didn't want me changing his pull up (he kept trying to pull his pants back up and put his pull up back on), then at dinner time he didn't want my MIL taking his shirt off. 

My question is - should they have contacted me first seeing as though he is an autistic child or did they do this all the right way? 

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EthansMomma2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM

no idea, but hugs and sorry you are going through this. :(

BLsmommy0911
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Thank you. It's just very unnerving seeing as though this is my first time in this situation. I personally think they should have called me before hand. 

kajira
by Emma on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Have you had problems with the school before? I would be concerned if this is how they handle stuff - especially if you are as careful with him as you say you are.
BLsmommy0911
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I haven't had any problems. He just started this summer program a couple weeks ago. When he went to Prek for during the actual school year (he started it in April) we didn't have these problems.

Pastalove
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:33 PM

If they have suspicions they can choose to either talk to you or call CPS.  They may have had suspicions before this time and had documented it and decided if they saw those "signs" again they would call CPS.  But, every place is different.  Seems a little extreme for bug bites and a dirty diaper.  I'm actually a Pre-School Special Ed Teacher and I see bug bites and dirty diapers everyday!  Especially when they get off the bus after a 40 minute ride to school!  

BLsmommy0911
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Thanks everyone for your help! Like I said before, I'm new this stuff. I thought it had seemed a little extreme too! 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:16 PM

This isn't the first I have heard aobut this happening..I've seen it on here and my Facebook group. CPS called from a school teacher or staff and the child being autistic... Kind of scares me actually, I get the feeling that some people are CPS calling happy :/

BLsmommy0911
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM
I think so too! I didn't have this problem during the month and a half he went to an actual school! This is beyond insane if you ask me.

Quoting Charizma77:

This isn't the first I have heard aobut this happening..I've seen it on here and my Facebook group. CPS called from a school teacher or staff and the child being autistic... Kind of scares me actually, I get the feeling that some people are CPS calling happy :/

maureen4154
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:46 AM

You could pay a suprise visit up to the school to see what is going on with your son.  I thin that sometimes some of the teachers do not really know how to handle our children with autism.  We as parents have to go that extra mile to ensure things are handled properly. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Wow...I would definitely talk to the school...that is a bit ridiculous!  Hugs mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)