Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Complaining I know ..... but it's just frustrating.

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:42 AM
  • 14 Replies

Do you ever get over hearing other people talk about their babies sleeping through the night at only a few weeks old? 

I'm so happy that my daughter (age 2) is now starting to sleep fairly consistently through the night (with the aid of melatonin) but I know that there are still sleepless nights ahead. For the most part, I get enough sleep now and shouldn't be complaining. Most of the time it doesn't bother me when people talk about their little ones sleeping so well ...... its mainly when my family members do it. Especially my half sister. We didn't grow up together so we're not real close and so she doesn't know everything I've dealt with.

She recently had her 2nd child and has been going on and on about how good a sleeper he is ....... when she was so worried at the end of her pregnancy that this one might cause her problems because he was keeping her awake while still inside. I think that's what hurts the most. When she was still pregnant she talked about hearing stories of those "nightmare children" who never slept. I simply told her I guess I had one of those "nightmare children" but I thought it made me stronger. I never told her it hurt me to hear her say that. So now alot of what she says hurts. 

by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM

My son was a night sleeper and has always slept like a log.

My daughter had colic and woke up multiple times per night until 2+.

she's finally sleeping through the night.

My son's special needs, my daughter is NT. It really just depends on the kiddo. Don't feel bad at all.

CEF1980
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Does your daughter have night terrors or nightmares? Our doctor put my 5 yr old son on Clonodine and it increased them significantly and made them more violent. We now use 3 mg of melatonin and he usually only has one episode a night now instead of 3-5. I understand your frustration. Cheers to getting 4 solid hours of REM sleep. ;)

girl_incognito
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM

My NT son didn't sleep through the night until he was 3... my son with ASD did it on and off since he was about 5 months old,then when he hit 18 months he started the weird sleep patterns. My daughter is fairly NT and she slept through the night right before 2... it depends on the child, not so much autism.

It is not uncommon for a child not to sleep through the night at 2 though. She's just playing sancti mommy... and for what it's worth she may even be lying to you :D Lots of moms do that to get into competition with other moms. 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Try not to let it bother you so much. I think there are always certain people that rub us the wrong way. Whether they mean it or not. I have a few like that. It's just the way they say things to me and I could just scream and I always want to just roll my eyes at them LOL. 

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Two out three of my kids are good sleepers. My middle child is horrible about sleeping. She doesn't go to sleep until almost 11. She waked up a few hours later. Then she's up at 5 takes a nap at 8 am then wakes up for the day at 10.
mustbeGRACE
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:06 PM

My kid slept through the night as soon as we brought him home.

He has Aspergers. If I was still having kids, I'd be suspicious if a kid slept all night so soon.

I personally suffer from bouts of sleep paralysis if I'm too tired. God, when we're out, we're out!!

MamaPrime
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Disregard what your friend said- if she had "one of those nightmare children" she wouldn't say such things or ever consider her child a "nightmare". 

I have one. He turned 2 in May and only just started sleeping in stretches longer than 2 hours during the night. CRAZY! And yes, I was the one getting up with him. We never did cry it out or anything. He needed me. You know what helped? Cutting out grains and glutens that can interrupt their adrenal functions. Just saying. 

But yes, ignore your friend. You are your child's mom and know how you feel about those long nights. She hasn't got a clue!!

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:17 PM

My oldest is a good sleeper and sleeps through the night, he's 6. My youngest is my bad sleeper and does not sleep through the night. He wakes up 3-4 times a time and some nights will stay up for a couple hours during the night. Sometimes he won't fall asleep til midnight either. He's 3 yrs old now. He's always been like this though as where my oldest always was my good sleeper. 

Mommyandliam
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:37 AM
After getting over acid reflux and colic at about 6 months my daughter became awesome on so many levels...my sons colic and reflux was worse than my daughters and sleeping has always been a guessing game :-/

We started melatonin a week ago and it is SOOO much better! He still wakes up once so far but he used to go to bed at 9 and would be up until 3-4am before falling asleep!!
unusualmom
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:03 AM
1 mom liked this
My 10 year old rarely sleeps through the night - it sucks! Thank god for cafemom and a few other nightly websites.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN