Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What would you do if?

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:57 PM
  • 17 Replies
So dh and I took the kids to an amusement park. We get season passes every year. Last year a worker kept telling me our middle child was too short to go on the rides. Another worker suggested we go to the measuring station. We did and got a wristband that's color coded for different rides she could go on.

We stopped at the measuring station first thing today to avoid any issues. Xavier didn't want to stand up against the wall to see if he was 36 inches. Dh had to hold him up to where his feet were touching the floor. As we were leaving the worker inside the station asked if we wanted a line pass so he won't have to stand in line for the rides. My oldest daughter asked why? Because it's harder for some kids like your brother to stand in line surrounded by lots of people. We never mentioned any of his issues. We told her no thanks, if we decide that he needs it later we will come back. It wasn't busy at all. Hardly any lines at all. I think the forecast scared people. Chance of thunderstorms and rain. He had fun. Ran into a few issues with sitting until the ride started. And attempts to run off.
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:05 PM
3 moms liked this

I wouldn't have been upset. This person could have had a child on the spectrum or maybe a niece or nephew. I think it was thoughtful that they offered.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this
That was nice of them I think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:28 AM
I know it's nice and all but don't people have to show some sort of proof of the disability?
maciymommieof3
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:50 AM
2 moms liked this

I would be pleased that someone is educated enough to recognize asd behavior....

Mommyandliam
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm surprised! I didn't know this option existed! I just don't take my son :-/
unusualmom
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 6:00 AM

What would I do if someone offered us a pass?  Probably not take it.  If I didnt think either of my 2 asd kids could handle the day then we wouldnt have gone.  We parents of asd kids are smarter than a lot of people pressume.  We dont knowingly want our children ruining other peoples experience just like we dont want other people to stare and say:  Whats wrong with your kid!  

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow - I would be very appreciative that the person showed understanding and some compassion rather than judgement.  I would have politely declined also though - I am trying to teach my son to handle waiting etc. and if he wasn't up to it that day, we would leave and try again another time.  I hope you had a fun day!

johnns
by Johnna on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:28 AM
I'd taken the pass in a heartbeat! The DH and I would've thought, " Thank God, finally a 'break"!
lucasmadre
by Kari on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

This is a good sign ladies! Things are changing out there...who knows they may even educated their staff to look out for kids that might need a little extra help. Makes me happy to hear your story. I am so glad you guys had a nice day....

heathers5500
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
No in most places it's an honor system....I would hope that people wouldn't lie and say their kid had a disability, when in fact they don't

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

I know it's nice and all but don't people have to show some sort of proof of the disability?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)