Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Big boy :)

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:26 AM
  • 8 Replies
4 moms liked this
I decided that my son must have needed some naked time because he started taking off his diaper and pooping in odd places! Friends and family all suggested that he was ready to potty train...WRONG!!! He is terrified of the potty! So I decided to approach potty training differently :) I started by allowing 15 minutes of naked time every time I changed his diaper. He was so liberated lol! Then he graduated to naked time after the bath, once he pees he has to go back into the diaper. This has taught him to hold it longer! After a couple weeks he was holding it on average for 2hrs at a time! Then I offered him the option of underwear that are very soft and he loved how they felt so much that he will stay dry on average 3-4hrs!!! And in the past couple weeks on occasion I will go into the bathroom and find pee in his potty chair!!! So GO LIAM!!! He does enjoy piddling it a little now and then when naked and it is not made a big deal of...my 7yr old daughter likes to point it out and tell me it's gross. I just smile and say "well, I told you boys are gross sometimes!"
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lucasmadre
by Kari on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:52 AM

First of all LOVE the picture...what a little prince. I also love your story, how creative are you! You should write a blog, I have never heard of this technique and it is brilliant! You go girl...XO

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Yay!  Progress!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:35 AM

That is awesome mama!

Mommyandliam
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you :)

I've been told its what makes me good with kids (an special needs adults)...being able to approach things in a way that suits them!

I have figured out that no two kids are alike autism or not...and there is NOTHING "typical" about my son! So, we approach everything from the far left lol.

Think like a therapist I say lol...and think about how their minds work...that's usually my approach to these far fetched ideas :)

Most moms think my ideas are crazy...unless they have unique children like I do <3

Quoting lucasmadre:

First of all LOVE the picture...what a little prince. I also love your story, how creative are you! You should write a blog, I have never heard of this technique and it is brilliant! You go girl...XO

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:26 PM

way to go

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM

That is so great to hear. Way to go Liam.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:12 PM

That sounds great!!  How exciting!!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:46 AM

woohoo You go, Liam!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)