Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hi!

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:21 PM
  • 5 Replies

hello everyone, my 2.6 month old son was recently diagnosed with ASD and I'm finding it hard to deal. it almost feels like im mourning; the life i envisioned for him, and selfishly, the life i envisioned for myself. I would love to get some advice from moms in my position and who have been here before.

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lucasmadre
by Kari on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM

First, welcome. Mourning is perfectly normal and I don't know a mother of a asd kid that didn't go through it when their child was diagnosed. It does feel like the death of what you thought it would be but don't despair. The majority of these kids do amazing things and with a lot of education and encouragement he will blossom and so will you as his mom. These kids are very special kids, really wonderful people once you find the way to communicate with them. An teacher once said to me- every child is a lock, it is our job to find their key. You will find his key... 

My advice- feel your feelings, go through the stages, mad, sad, denial, whatever but then after you are feeling grounded again get to work reading and posting here and gathering all the information you can acquire and then decide your plan of action. And try to enjoy being his mom, get down on the floor and watch him play, do what he does, share what he likes even if it is tiresome...make as much of a connection as you can with him because in the long run that is what you need with all kids.

Welcome and keep posting, when I was in your spot there were so many wonderful moms that helped me out of my depression and supported me through the stages and even kicked my butt a little when I needed it. This is a community of people who understand what you are going through and we are here to help...XO

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jun. 30, 2013 at 5:21 PM

My daughter is 25 months and doesn't have an official dx yet but we"ve been going through the process for several months now. I went through a quick mourning phase the first time it was suggested she be tested for more than just a speech delay and I started looking up autism. I felt like a ton of bricks had fallen on me when most of what I read sounded like my little girl.

After a few days of being in a fog, I looked at her and started focusing on who she was again. She's my daughter and she's amazing and all I care about is doing everything neccesary to make her the best Cheyanne she can be. Every day holds its own surprises (good and bad) but now I celebrate every victory and it's so heart-warming when those victories happen.

Message me if you'd like to talk sometime. Our kids are close in age and it'd be nice to have a friend during this journey.

slpmomofasd
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:03 PM
thank you so much. everyone has told me to join a support group and I have been avoiding it because its usually difficult for me to talk to people.
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:53 PM

This is how I felt in the beginning too. I felt like everything had changed for him and our family. I was angry that this could happen to my child. That was a year ago July 29. Today I am happy because he is happy. I am not saying those feelings don't sneak up from time to time. It's just I have seen the improvements in my son. He went from nonverbal to repeating everything back to us. He went from screaming all the time to running around happy most of the time. He went from no pretend play to pretending. He gave no eye contact but searches for it. I look at all the positives and the negatives just seem to slip away. It gets easier to accept each day. Just stay strong. Welcome to the group

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Welcome!!! What you're feeling is the same we all did or still do in this group...it's just perfectly normal. With time, things get better and you'll learn that sometimes the smallest hurdles you conquer make you the happiest!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)