Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

dinner is hell

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:37 PM
  • 18 Replies
Hello ladies! By now im sure youre all familiar with me and my issues with my Ryan. Well dinners are hell any more. He wont eat. Its a battle every night. Hes all of a sudden a picky eater. Tonight he didnt eat a single bite. I made a dinner he has eaten before. He refused to eat and was throwing his food at me and my husband. Ive tried so many things. Ignoring him...giving him all my attention. ..taking the food away from him and feed him but he smacks the fork and the food as it comes near him. Its exhausting. We have set up his good boy board for weeks now and that hasnt helped either. The kid cant eat cherrios all day. Any advice, support, or anything would be great. ..thank you!
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM
2 moms liked this

My son is very uncooperative at dinner time unless I let him watch TV shows on the Kindle Fire, then he just zones out and eats. If he gets fussy I put on a different show and that does the trick. At this point, I just want him to eat without a headache. We'll work on eating in a more appropriate manner later, when he's ready. I know that if I try to get him to eat otherwise, he'll just be hungry and I'll be frustrated. That isn't going to help anyone. 

When that doesn't work and he's being uncooperative, sometimes I give him an interesting utensil to eat with, like a wooden spoon or chop sticks (with assistance). That usually does the trick. 

philipmommy4834
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

You should check around you to see if their is any place that does feeding therapy.  My son's speech therapist does it.  He is a picky eater too.  One thing you can do is take something he likes and make him take a bit then give him what he likes as a reward.  For example he takes a bite of chicken and gets a cheerio. 

maciymommieof3
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM

sorry momma....

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe you could talk to his doctor about this. It could be a sensory issue. Also have you tried pediasure. It has a lot of nutrients in it. Also i would give him vitamins. Hope he gets to eating soon momma.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I was going to suggest feeding therapy as well. It seemed to help my friends son. My Ashton is not a picky eater at all, he loves to eat.

Quoting philipmommy4834:

You should check around you to see if their is any place that does feeding therapy.  My son's speech therapist does it.  He is a picky eater too.  One thing you can do is take something he likes and make him take a bit then give him what he likes as a reward.  For example he takes a bite of chicken and gets a cheerio. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

This is what we do.  It is not 100% but our OT has been doing it with us for years, and if we don't my son will go right back into eating just a couple of things.

Quoting philipmommy4834:

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Feeding therapy is great, but also consider that he might be allergic to certain foods which he then will CRAVE.  Like cheerios if he's gluten sensitive.  So no, he doesn't want that nice chicken b/c it's not turning into an opiate as soon as it hits his leaky gut so he shoves it away.  Same for milk you'll see kids who will down a gallon a day or more b/c it's getting them a little bit high.  Just food for thought so to speak - when we took my son GFCF he suddenly acted like he woke up and came out of his fog.  Very worth it for our family. 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:37 AM

When D was small and MORe picky...still picky at 12....I let him shop with me and choose things he's llike. I also found that when he could tell me what he wanted to eat or could choose something out of a cookbook and help me make it, he would ALWAYS at least attempt eating it. When food looks simple or fun, they like it better. He also loved eating with fancy toothpicks. If it was cut up meat or veggies of any sort, I'd stick a few of those in them and he's get a big kick out of it!

Kids cooking in the kitchen always works!

unusualmom
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Technically he can eat cheerios all day but thats another story. --- My son is severely picky - only eats about 12 foods. And the truth is you might not be able to change his food preferences. Its just part of the spectrum.
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Oh! What about milkshakes or smoothies with his Cheerios and you sneak a pediasure or ensure in it? Worth a shot! Get him a neat cup and straw for it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)