Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Discipline for young kids

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM
  • 18 Replies
How do you discipline your young ones? My son is almost 2 and I could use some discipline ideas. That would work. Mainly something I could do to let him know his fits (screaming yelling throwing himself on the ground hitting his head on the ground biting himself) are not acceptable. Thanks!

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emarin77
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Move him to another activity. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:33 PM

A lot of redirection!  

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I was told by our ABA the best thing was redirection. If he is doing this cause he does not want to do something that he should be doing like cleaning up. Let him calm down but have him continue to clean up. If it's just because he is having a hard time dealing with a situation then redirect him to something that he prefers doing.

Monkeymama930
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:10 PM
To be honest I have no idea why he throws the fits. :-( it will be something like I will go to hand him his juice and he will start screaming and throw himself on the ground. I am at a loss. His pedi say ignore it. That's not working. I need help!

Quoting JTMOM422:

I was told by our ABA the best thing was redirection. If he is doing this cause he does not want to do something that he should be doing like cleaning up. Let him calm down but have him continue to clean up. If it's just because he is having a hard time dealing with a situation then redirect him to something that he prefers doing.

meandmyboys124
by Kylynn on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:12 PM
my 2yo does that. generally, its because he wanted a different cup.
I will then redirect him and put the drink in the right cup then wait a few minutes before handing it to him.

Quoting Monkeymama930:

To be honest I have no idea why he throws the fits. :-( it will be something like I will go to hand him his juice and he will start screaming and throw himself on the ground. I am at a loss. His pedi say ignore it. That's not working. I need help!

Quoting JTMOM422:

Monkeymama930
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Oh wow I never thought of that he is non verbal. So of course he can't tell me he wants a different cup or different plate or different snack. I guess I just assumed one cup plate snack is the same as any other :-(
Can I ask how do you figure out what he wants?

Quoting meandmyboys124:my 2yo does that. generally, its because he wanted a different cup.
I will then redirect him and put the drink in the right cup then wait a few minutes before handing it to him.

Quoting Monkeymama930:To be honest I have no idea why he throws the fits. :-( it will be something like I will go to hand him his juice and he will start screaming and throw himself on the ground. I am at a loss. His pedi say ignore it. That's not working. I need help!

Quoting JTMOM422:I was told by our ABA the best thing was redirection. If he is doing this cause he does not want to do something that he should be doing like cleaning up. Let him calm down but have him continue to clean up. If it's just because he is having a hard time dealing with a situation then redirect him to something that he prefers doing.

meandmyboys124
by Kylynn on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM
I offered a different color sippy until he started flapping. he is non verbal as well.
turns out, he really likes yellow. so if he freaks out, I try yellow first and that usually does he trick.

Quoting Monkeymama930:

Oh wow I never thought of that he is non verbal. So of course he can't tell me he wants a different cup or different plate or different snack. I guess I just assumed one cup plate snack is the same as any other :-(

Can I ask how do you figure out what he wants?

Quoting meandmyboys124:my 2yo does that. generally, its because he wanted a different cup.

Quoting Monkeymama930:To be honest I have no idea why he throws the fits. :-( it will be something like I will go to hand him his juice and he will start screaming and throw himself on the ground. I am at a loss. His pedi say ignore it. That's not working. I need help!

Quoting JTMOM422:I was told by our ABA the best thing was redirection. If he is doing this cause he does not want to do something that he should be doing like cleaning up. Let him calm down but have him continue to clean up. If it's just because he is having a hard time dealing with a situation then redirect him to something that he prefers doing.

Monkeymama930
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:31 PM
I will start giving him choices and see what he likes.
Thank you

I really applicate your advice!
Monkeymama930
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Any advice for when he won't redirect? When he is to upset.

Quoting emarin77:

Move him to another activity. 

Monkeymama930
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Any advice on what to do when he won't move on to something else? He gets so mad! Sorry I am a first time mom. So I am overwhelmed!

Quoting Charizma77:

A lot of redirection!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)