Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Random crying spells

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM
  • 4 Replies

My daughter has random times where she starts crying a truly depressing cry and sometimes I can no doing to make her ok again. And this doesn't happen over not getting her way. She might break down and cry while watching her movie, while we're playing together or while she's playing by herself. 

I was wondering if any of you have dealt with this. Alot of times I think something's hurting, like her stomach or her teeth, or maybe she bit her tongue.... and she's non-verbal so she can't tell me what hurts. But I mainly was wondering if it could be depression. Can children as young as 2 be depressed? I'm concerned because I suffered from childhood depression (didn't happen for me til I was about 10) and when she cries it is heartbreaking. And it's not the same cry as her fussy, I'm sleepy or I'm feely icky cr y. It's kind of like an "I don't know what I'm feeling so all I can do is " cry.

Any thoughts?

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kajira
by Emma on Jul. 1, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Don't project your worries and fears onto her from what you experienced as a child. At 2? I think feelings sad and confused when you can't communicate are a big thing. Give her some time. She may become verbal as she gets older. Just make sure she knows you love her, and do fun things with her a lot.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:33 AM

I think it's frustration , especially when they can't communicate as well. Give her time and see if she grows out of it.

yourdoingwhat
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Uncontrollable crying and laughing are symptoms/signs of autism.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I think all you can do right now is be empathetic, show her concern, hug her, tell her your sorry she seems sad... If she doesnt want hugs or to talk tell her "i love you, im sorry your crying, i know you dont want hugs, so ill respect your wish. If there is anything you want me to do, please let me know." 

It sounds to me like at certain times she feels overwhelmed. Lots of kids cry out of just feeling overwhelmed.. Its tough be be a kid sometimes.

im sorry you have such a hard time withbit. Hug! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)