Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Prozac and Autism

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM
  • 6 Replies

Prozac? Did I hear you right? Yes Prozac, it's supposed to help children with autism to cope with well life. My kiddo with autism has OCD big time, and he's also a perfectionist and when things don't align perfectly he cannot handle it - the result severe meltdowns. And sometimes he cries for no apparent reason, and without the ability to tell me why, he's left with no option but to cry it out. We think that he is having trouble stabilizing his moods, and Prozac is supposed to help that too. There is no cure for autism but if this medication can help him, then we will try it. I did not come to this conclusion lightly, since 2008 the doctor had recommended it, but I resisted. His behavioral therapist, has said she has done all she can, so today April 12, 2012, I said yes and I pray that I've made the right decision. 

It's been more than a year since we started with Prozac and I believe it has helped. He still cries but the 2 hour spells of crying have been cut down and he seems to be able to move on from the situaiton faster.

Prior to Prozac: So frustrated I don't know how to stop Vincent from blurting loudly and lengthy at 5 am. He gets so frustrated if something doesn't go his way and he begins screaming and crying. Took him to Hastings the other day as a reward he picked out a book, I thought okay cool. What I did not realize was that he had a much older version of the same book. When we got home he began operating on the new book ripping out pages and taping them to the old book, he was trying to fix it of course. When it did not work out it was 2 straight hours of yelling, crying, and throwing anything he could get his hands on. I had to grab both books now destroyed and throw them away, in hopes he would move on. Autism, perfectionism, and obsession ruled the day. I have a feeling it's going to be a long Spring Break I am going to try and get him out as much as possible.
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
girl_incognito
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Mine takes wellbutrin... we tried prozac but it wasn't the one for him.
Shaida1979
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I am not familiar with wellbutrin, how long did you guys try prozac for. Vincent still cries and gets angry at times two months ago his doctor increased the miligrams he takes each day.

mamaboys0207
by Caseye on Jul. 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I may have to ask my sons doc about it...he is like a mood roller coaster most days :(

kajira
by Emma on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Prozac can make people suicidal or depressed so i'd be really, really careful using mood stabilizer drugs. I'm autistic and mood stabilizing drugs had the opposite effect on me. My issues were environmental, not chemical, so messing with my chemicals played havoc on my system and made me far worse. My son though, is on risperdol atm - he has a mood disorder similar to bipolar, mostly with mania and paranoia though. He also has a psychotic disorder... and his OCD symptoms cause more problems with the combo of unclear thinking and manic/paranoia. The risperdol helps a lot - but isn't the magic fix. We still change his environment and work on behaviors on top of the medication. Medication can help, but it's not a magic fix.
Shaida1979
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:14 PM

We keep a close eye on him and don't think its a magic fix we continue to work on his behaviors and environment. Vincent would cry with big waltering tears over a simple drawing that did not come out right and he would also hit himself. He was unable to move on from the problem even when I tried to redirect him and give him options. I avoided any medication for him for years but for us it was a good decision because he spends less time obsessing and can stabalize his emotions.

girl_incognito
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:00 PM

My son has severe adhd type symptoms... he was only on prozac for 2 months. My son has tried a very very long list of medication (he is now 15) Wellbutrin is for anxiety and adult adhd, it can also treat depression and is great for OCD. It worked well for me (I have aspergers) so asked the doctor if we could try it on him since we have exhausted all ADHD type meds (that gave him severe side effects)

Quoting Shaida1979:

I am not familiar with wellbutrin, how long did you guys try prozac for. Vincent still cries and gets angry at times two months ago his doctor increased the miligrams he takes each day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)