Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

gluten/cassein free diet

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM
  • 17 Replies

So we have been doing the gluten/cassein free diet for a couple months now in order to deal with severe constipation. After a few weeks it was working. He was eliminating every day. We haven't changed anything but now the constipation is back even on the diet. Did anyone else have this experience? What did you do?

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
philipmommy4834
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM

BUMP!

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:35 PM
2 moms liked this

It probably depends on what foods you're feeding him. Just because its gluten and casein free doesn't mean its good for you. I made that mistake with my daughter. I saw great improvements at first, especially with digestion and constipation, but then it just turned into constant diarrhea. Turned out all the sugar, starch, grain and soy in her diet was feeding the yeast in her gut. Not good. Allergies and intolerances can cause problems. The processed foods are part of the issue too, and sugar and grains are not digested fast enough, and can sit for too long in the gut and intestines, and in turn end up feeding yeast and bacteria. Anyways, long story short, we switched to what's called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which is grain, sugar and dairy free. Its still gluten free because its no grains at all. You can make baked goods from coconut flour or almond flour, and honey and fruit is ok. Check out pecanbread.com for info. Its a diet created for people who suffer from colitis and digestive issues like Chrohn's etc. and its actually the number one diet recommended for autism now. Its improved everything, and its been over a year she's been on it and all the digestive issues are fine now. If you're on Pinterest, I'm under the name AutismHealer, and I have several great boards with a ton of grain and dairy free recipes to try out. Its worth a shot.

Violet's Mom

philipmommy4834
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

i have heard of it but i am really not sure if i have it in me to restrict even more.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM

No experience but good luck mama...hugs!

Koltie6
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Are you using a good probiotic?
VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I know how you feel, but it is really great tasting food, generally made from scratch. I would suggest if you're not into changing the diet then get some allergy/intolerance testing done at a dan doctor or naturopath, and then you have a better idea of what might be causing an issue. Or you could even keep a food journal, and rotate each food every 3 days, and see if there is any change. There's always prunes or magnesium you could blend into a smoothie, those will loosen up the poop temporarily, but there is an underlying cause there that will eventually have to be addressed.

Quoting philipmommy4834:

i have heard of it but i am really not sure if i have it in me to restrict even more.

Violet's Mom

philipmommy4834
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:13 PM
I do give him pedialax probiotic but I don't like doing too many things because then I can't tell what is making the difference.
KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Going GFCF is great but if you look at his foods and find that 90% of what he's eating is some form of carb or grain (just not wheat) then that's likely your culprit for the constipation.  GFCF waffles, bread, chips, pretzels, cereal, fries, the list goes on and yes, they're all GFCF bit they are all carbs and therefore feeding the yeast and gut bacteria (good, bad, and ugly) that are in his intestines.  A probiotic can help keep the good bacteria boosted up and that, in turn, keeps the bad bacteria in check but not if you feed them like crazy with all kinds of processed grains and sugar. 

So as much as it might suck, as much as your kid will hate it, nix the grains or keep them to a very small amount.  Fresh fruits are ok, veggies are always ok, and instead of focusing so much on what you're ELIMINATING from his diet, focus instead on ADDING healthy low-carb/no-grain items to his diet.  So you're not taking AWAY his chips for snack you're ADDING an apple to a small amount of chips (say 1/3 of what you'd usually give him). 

And again, get that stool test (Doctor's Data has kits I believe you can purchase online) and see what's growing in there because overgrowths of yeast and gut bacteria are easily treated but NOT easily resolved without dietary changes to remove their food source(s). 

philipmommy4834
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I am going to start keeping a food journal so I can keep track of what exactly he is eating.  I can try to minimize the carbs but there is no way I can do just meat, fruit, and veggies.  I have heard good things about the specific carbohydrate diet however that website seems like it is just trying to sell the diet rather then give specifics. 

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:30 PM

You just described the SCD diet - meat fruit and veggies.  Nuts are allowed too as are some oils but yeah, that's the gist: if it's a carb and it comes in a package with a label on it, it's a no-no.  If it's a carb and it comes in the form of a naturally made fruit/veggie then it's fine. 

Quoting philipmommy4834:

I am going to start keeping a food journal so I can keep track of what exactly he is eating.  I can try to minimize the carbs but there is no way I can do just meat, fruit, and veggies.  I have heard good things about the specific carbohydrate diet however that website seems like it is just trying to sell the diet rather then give specifics. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)