Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My son is peeling his toe!

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:06 PM
  • 16 Replies
He stubbed his big toe the other day, it messed up his nail a little. Ever since, he's been chewing on his toe & peeling the skin off! It looks like he has a very very bad case of athletes foot on his toe now. Any suggestions on how to get him to stop? Bandaids make him mad, he takes socks off, he takes footie pajamas off. The only other idea I have is to put vinegar or something else that tastes horrible on his toe & even that might not work with him. He's 4 & has classic Autism. Any advice would really be appreciated! His poor toe looks horrible :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMyKBabies
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:39 PM
I don't know!! That sounds awful. My son is a picker too. But we've never had it that bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyKBabies
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:07 AM
I don't know what to do about it :(

Quoting mypbandj:

I don't know!! That sounds awful. My son is a picker too. But we've never had it that bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:17 AM
If you can't bandage it or keep it covered, call the dr.

Quoting LoveMyKBabies:

Quoting mypbandj:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I agree you should call the doctor. You don't want him to get an infection. Have you tried solarcaine spray? It contains lidocaine and is supposed to be sort of numbing. Maybe you can ask your pharmacist if they have anything that is stronger with its numbing properties. If it's numb, maybe he won't mess with it as much???? I don't know because sometimes something feeling numb causes distress as well so only you'd know if this might work.

LoveMyKBabies
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:13 AM
I've been trying to keep it clean & after he fell asleep I put antibiotic cream on it. I think he'd pick at it even more if it's numb, but I'll definitely get it looked at if he doesn't stop soon.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

I agree you should call the doctor. You don't want him to get an infection. Have you tried solarcaine spray? It contains lidocaine and is supposed to be sort of numbing. Maybe you can ask your pharmacist if they have anything that is stronger with its numbing properties. If it's numb, maybe he won't mess with it as much???? I don't know because sometimes something feeling numb causes distress as well so only you'd know if this might work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I just have to say, totally OT, but Solarcane spray is EXCELLENT for mosquito bites!!!

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SAMI_JO
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM

You've got the right idea, but you are going to have to do it when he is asleep or he will wash it off.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Yes!

Quoting mypbandj:

If you can't bandage it or keep it covered, call the dr.

Quoting LoveMyKBabies:

Quoting mypbandj:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 6, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I would try something that tastes bad. My son picks at his cuts and scabs. Luckily i am able to distract him when he does this and he soon forgets about it. If he notices it again he is back and picking at it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN