Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Overnight camps

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:08 PM
  • 18 Replies

Are there any overnight/respite camps for teens (14/15) with ADHD, Aspergers, ODD and Schitzoaffective? My son is begging for me to look into an overnight camp that is more typical (swimming, archery, horseback riding, art etc). He has just become quite social in the past 2 yrs and I am just wondering if there are any out there for our kids like this. I am in IN so looking in IN, OH, IL,MI, TN area. I have tried searching and finding mostly day camps. Looking into info for next Summer.

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joel2010
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:35 PM

i know Mi does have some i know they even have ones that are like 3 or 4 days long for the kids... let me see if i can get the names for you

2and2onway
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Thank you.

Quoting joel2010:

i know Mi does have some i know they even have ones that are like 3 or 4 days long for the kids... let me see if i can get the names for you

joel2010
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

okay i am going to give you 2 website i just look at that has some on them midmichiganautism.org/images/SummerCampList4-12-11-1.pdf   also mysummercamps.com/camps/michigan-autism-camps.html  i think i put them on here rite

patnic
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Yes, I know there are some in mid-Michigan.  But can't think of their name.

If you google The Boxing Autism Club of Livingston County and write to them, they can tell you about it.  (This is my local support group.)  Some of the camp counselors came to the support group to tell us about it.  I didn't attend the meeting - sorry.

2and2onway
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Thank you, will research those.

Bluerose1482
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I hope he has a great time at camp.  :)

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I think it's great he wants to go to camp. 

JP1516
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:21 AM

My ASD son is in Boy Scouts and his troop leader is aware of the ASD and is AH-MAZING.  Gavin has gone to several overnight camping trips (where an "extra" troop leader is in charge of watching Gavin's every move) and they don't mind that I call very 15 minutes. :)  His biggest accomplishment was a 20 mile hike, up a mountain, in 40 degree weather.  He still talks about that and is very proud of himself. :)

JP1516
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Oh, and to add, Gavin doesn't bond with people. He gets along with the other scouts because they are aware of everything and know that Gav will have 1 sided conversations and be straight up "rude" if they are talking about a subject that doesn't interest him...lol.  They know this, they accept this, and they still want to be his hiking pal. 

2and2onway
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Quoting JP1516:

My ASD son is in Boy Scouts and his troop leader is aware of the ASD and is AH-MAZING.  Gavin has gone to several overnight camping trips (where an "extra" troop leader is in charge of watching Gavin's every move) and they don't mind that I call very 15 minutes. :)  His biggest accomplishment was a 20 mile hike, up a mountain, in 40 degree weather.  He still talks about that and is very proud of himself. :)

We did cub scouts and my son was in the top 3 just behind his leaders son and a home schooled child who does not do school during popcorn sales in our district. Right after the sale my son ended up in residential due to unstability. The leader stole most of his money and told us we owed it. He said he would deliver the popcorn when it came in and then lied to the scout master about it all. Jeremiah ended up getting less of a prize and was not able to go to camp. We do not support cub scouts any more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)