Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My son's story

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM
  • 14 Replies
2 moms liked this

Hi, everyone!  I have posted about my son on here before, but I thought I'd share his whole back story as well.  

Okay - Gavin was born on his due date in January 2001.  He was an emergency C-Section (breech) but no concerns after his brith.  At 6 months old he was diagnosed with asthma and was in and out of the hospital for asthma related issues for the next 5 years (never anything MAJOR-just flare ups, croup, pnemonia).  He started walking at 19 months old.  He sat up by himself at 10months old. He wasn't potty trained until he was 4 years old, but could operate and progrm the home computer by age 21/2. He started talking at 2 years old and had major speech delays.  he was in speech therapy from age 4 to 12 (he graduated from speech therapy LAST YEAR! Go, Gav!).  At age 6 he was dx with ADHD.  I resisted putting him on meds until school became a war...he would lick the walls, other students, take off his clothes-down to his underpants-tear up books and papers and sit ON his desk.  I finally agreed to ADHD meds at 7 years old.  I always had a feeling that Gavin was "different".  He speaks like an adult (the words and phrases he uses), he doesn't have a friend in the world, but doesn't seem too concerned with it.  He can fix anything related to electronics, wheter it be setting up WIFI, setting up our cable, fixing the computer, programming Windows on our new computer (true story) OR -my favorite- when he was 11 yrs old in the 5th grade, he taught all 4 of the 3rd grade teachers how to do a powerpoint presentation.  They literally took my son in a room, sat the teachers down and had Gav show them how to do this.  That was a proud mommy moment. :)

SOOOO....his school did an IQ test on Gav because his school pscycologist saw something "different" in Gavin.  He tested 120.  She told me I may want to rethink the whole "ADHD" thing because he sure was concentrating on that IQ test, her words.  I took her advice, took him to a new therapist.  The new therapist talked to Gav for about 20 minutes. Looked at me and said "momma, classic ASD." Open and shut, we have our dx!  

I'm relieved because I have an answer for those times that my baby was so upset about seemingly nothing that he was pound his head on the wall until he was bruised.  I have a REASON why he has no friends and other kids look at him like he's an alien.  I have hope for his future and I LOVE my son.  

That's his story, just felt like getting it all out there.  :)  Thanks for giving me a place to open up. 

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
girl_incognito
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Your story is very familiar to me... My son had the adhd dx until he was 10 (dx at 4) then he recieved his ASD dx... I know the relief you had when you got your answer!

I was diagnosed a month ago with autism and I am 34... it's like wow all those years, all those issues and I finally have an answer

I am so glad you were able to finally get the right answers. 

Bobcatridge
by Carol on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM

We have a 12 yr old daughter (aspergers and generalized anxiety disorder) and getting a diagnosis has been challenging so I understand your feelings. Our daughter is also very bright - we haven't had an IQ test yet but the cognitive behavior therapist wants us to do a neuro psych evaluation that includes an IQ test. I suspect she will score very high. Some people think because she is so bright that she can't be autistic but she is.

JP1516
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:36 AM

It was a HUGE relief!  When we found out and i told my family, EVERY ONE of my family members said "THAT diagnosis makes sense."  I'm glad you got your answers as well! WOW...34 years until a dx? I bet you're very relieved!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for sharing your story. It seems so many of our kids are misdiagnosed and put on meds for no reason. I am glad you finally got the right diagnosis. I will have to remember who to contact next time I have a computer issue. LOL

LoveMyKBabies
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for sharing your story. Your son sounds like a sweetheart :) I've heard that autistic children tend to have an "area" that they are very bright in. That is pretty cool that he's like that with electronics. I'm glad you finally got a correct diagnosis. My boys haven't shown what their "areas" are yet, I can't wait to see what they are.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome and thanks for sharing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terri-553
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Thomas is 10,he loves the desk-top,his lap-top at his house/his I-Pad,he is my grandson,And I am so happy for you.

autiovisual
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Sounds bonafide. A touch of hyperlexia? Ritalin associated with depression later in life. Put up with his little eccentricites. He may have comorbid ADD/HD but I prefer not drugging kids. Antidepressants are dangerous for instance. Remember his brain chemistry may be different so if his serotonin is elevated why add more. Watch his pupil size. Get his eyes checked even if etes appear normal to correct amblyopia if its there. Little professors are fun but as he matures expect aggression issues. Limit his videogaming before he gets out of control. You tube, reading, ok but can quickly spiral out of control.  

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Welcome AGAIN... lol... I know! The relief when someone tells you the dx is the best feeling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucasmadre
by Kari on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Thank you for sharing, it is a familiar story...so many kids trying to find their way and none of the experts able to help them. I think it is getting better but for us with older kids valuable time was wasted with misdiagnosis or no diagnosis at all.

It is nice, so nice to have other moms who have gone through similar experiences to share things with...thanks again for sharing your story.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)