Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Hi, everyone!  I have posted about my son on here before, but I thought I'd share his whole back story as well.  

Okay - Gavin was born on his due date in January 2001.  He was an emergency C-Section (breech) but no concerns after his brith.  At 6 months old he was diagnosed with asthma and was in and out of the hospital for asthma related issues for the next 5 years (never anything MAJOR-just flare ups, croup, pnemonia).  He started walking at 19 months old.  He sat up by himself at 10months old. He wasn't potty trained until he was 4 years old, but could operate and progrm the home computer by age 21/2. He started talking at 2 years old and had major speech delays.  he was in speech therapy from age 4 to 12 (he graduated from speech therapy LAST YEAR! Go, Gav!).  At age 6 he was dx with ADHD.  I resisted putting him on meds until school became a war...he would lick the walls, other students, take off his clothes-down to his underpants-tear up books and papers and sit ON his desk.  I finally agreed to ADHD meds at 7 years old.  I always had a feeling that Gavin was "different".  He speaks like an adult (the words and phrases he uses), he doesn't have a friend in the world, but doesn't seem too concerned with it.  He can fix anything related to electronics, wheter it be setting up WIFI, setting up our cable, fixing the computer, programming Windows on our new computer (true story) OR -my favorite- when he was 11 yrs old in the 5th grade, he taught all 4 of the 3rd grade teachers how to do a powerpoint presentation.  They literally took my son in a room, sat the teachers down and had Gav show them how to do this.  That was a proud mommy moment. :)

SOOOO....his school did an IQ test on Gav because his school pscycologist saw something "different" in Gavin.  He tested 120.  She told me I may want to rethink the whole "ADHD" thing because he sure was concentrating on that IQ test, her words.  I took her advice, took him to a new therapist.  The new therapist talked to Gav for about 20 minutes. Looked at me and said "momma, classic ASD." Open and shut, we have our dx!  

I'm relieved because I have an answer for those times that my baby was so upset about seemingly nothing that he was pound his head on the wall until he was bruised.  I have a REASON why he has no friends and other kids look at him like he's an alien.  I have hope for his future and I LOVE my son.  

That's his story, just felt like getting it all out there.  :)  Thanks for giving me a place to open up. 

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Replies (11-14):
siouxx
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:52 AM

my grandson Kyle, is on the ASD spectrum, but without diagnostic testing, we aren't sure where exactly.  we have had custody of Kyle since he was 8 months old. daddy decided that mommy;s ppd was hazardous to Kyle so, at 7 months he took him across state lines to missouri.  it took my daughter giving us custody, 2 court appearances in missouri, and 2 here in illinois.  a month later we went to missouri to get kyle.   he has become everything to us.  after we brought him home,  we took him to his dr to have him checked out, it was then the question of autism came up, because kyle had no emotion in his face and hated to be touched.  we actually wondered if it was ptsd, but have since been told that at such a young age, and the love and support of his family, Kyle would forget and flourish.   at 18 months there was no language, he walked at 15 months, we began to notice little things that weren't quite right.  screaming, head banging, not watching where he was walking, no eye contact, or at best fleeting, developemental delays, zoning out, picky eater, circling, chewing on his blanket so hard u wondered if he would break his jaw, walkinfg with his head turned to the side, constant movement, fear of everything, especially loud noises, where he would cover his head and ears, meltdowns, tantrums, hitting, kicking, and water, bath time was horrific for him.

Kyle has been with early intervention since he was 18 months, he can say 3 or 4 word sentences, he can count to 20 and sometimes with help to 30,  he loves puzzles, and u only need show him how to do something usually once and he's got it.  he has a smile that lights up his whole face, and turns your heart to mush.  he see's a square, but he see's a square, a triangle, and a diamond all in that one square.  we've been told that the chewing is sensory based, that he avoids sensory stimuli but also looks for it.?    it's been frustrating not getting any kind of dx on Kyle, and some days are worse than others.  i and my family have learned and ar learning alot, from Kyle and from his therapists.  everything we do is for Kyle.  we have great hope in what he will accomplish in the times ahead,  we r learning how to live in his world.

JP1516
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Awww he sounds like such a little joy!!  Gavin chews on stuff too..clothes...plactic...anything...BUT he has braces...so we've had to have those repaired A LOT because of the chewing.  He also has a hard time with "weird textures"...for example: he wont eat beans, rice, mashed ANYTHING, nuts...anything that doesn't feel "right" to him, he will gag/vomit.  Its been like that since he was about 3 years old.

JP1516
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM

What is hyperlexia? (I'm new to all of this)  He's not on Ritalin...never was.  He was on Concerta before when they thought he had ADHD and he had a lot of aggression with it.  Now that he's off he is a totally different child!  

JP1516
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Sorry guys...I'm trying to figure this message board out...lol! I thought I was replying to a specific person but I guess I'm not!  For anyone wondering - Gavin is on a VERY low dose medication for hyperactivity/aggression (he is still going 10000 miles a minute - so it IS low dose!) and he also take 1000mg of Fish oil a day.  (He gives himself and the dog a fish oil each morning after breakfast)  

Thanks, moms, for letting me have a place to share as well as meet new mommies/grandmommies who share  the same "differences" as we do.  

Oh..and on the lighter side:  we have been calling Gavin "Sheldon" since the Big Bang Theory started coming on television.  He has even says  "Bazinga" now after making a joke...he is SO much like that character, its freaky!!  Lol! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN