Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Do you ever see autistic traits in your NT family members?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Amy
  • 35 Replies

I was talking to my cousin (a SPED teacher) a while back and she said that she believes that everyone living has at least one "autistic trait".

So... do you see signs of autism in your NT kids?  Your spouse, siblings, parents or yourself?

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I think lots of people show autistic "traits" because there are so many other things out there that can have the same symptoms. My brother is NT but when he was younger he was EXTREMELY schedule oriented. Things had to be the same everyday and everything had to be in the same place. My mom sought out help for him when he cried over her doing laundry on the wrong day and he had a panic attack when she re-arranged the living room.

He was diagnosed with childhood OCD and its the correct dx.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally I have a really hard time making eye contact. I've kinda wondered if that could be a factor for my daughter not making alot of eye contact. I am capable of doing it but it makes me severely uncomfortable if I make eye contact for more than like 10 seconds. 

autiovisual
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I have unusual observational skills, focussed on details so spot things most people miss. I only remember seeing this in my father. may be linked to faceblindness. all those loners in family likely faceblind. many people are so mildly afflicted they don't realize it. often co-occurs with auditory dyslexia. Overall do not really notice others when in your shell. feel invisible. Could be behing body dysmorphic with focus on face too. What do you consider traits. Biological - birthmarks, phitrum placement, low set ears that flop out, Strasbismis/amblyopia that occurs at a greater rate? Gaze avoidance or wandering or too intense gaze can be mistaken for other things as shyness or dishonnesty. Children who are normal line up toys and this is not defining. Trance states can be either transient or due to abscence seizures. Many day dream. Rocking, head banging and sleep difficulties are more interesting. jactatio capitis nocturna can run in families. aka rhythmic movement disorder or rhythmie du sommeil not to be confused with stereotypic movement disorder. many bite nails, twirl hair. What traits are you looking at specifically?

blessedhappymom
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Yes there are somethings my NT son does that get my radar in alert mode. I think a lot is him copying his brother. His peditrician didn't have cause for concern. I also think my BIL, husband's brother is on the spectrum. I'm convinced of it as he displays many characteritics. My husband agrees and thinks because they grew up in a different time with autism wasn't so prevelant that he went undiaginosed. He is independent, has a home and family, but theres something there. 

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I dont like chaos, hate feeling out of control, have some senosry tactile issues (squishy is yucky!) hubby is a "loner" niether one of us like big groups/ parties. So, im guessing we have some social anxiety and some missing social skills. We just dont "replensih" by parites and groups of friends... We both find it just draining- like our aspie son. 

My dad is also very "solitary". My FIL needed o/t as a kid.. His handwriting looks like. 5 year old kid.. No lie! 

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM

My husband's handwriting is horrible too! I fill out all important docs to make sure people can read them. Thankfully at his job everything is written on the computer. He never received OT tho ..... he just said his teachers were always mean to him about it and constantly counted off for bad handwriting but never showed him how to make it better.

Quoting SamMom912:

I dont like chaos, hate feeling out of control, have some senosry tactile issues (squishy is yucky!) hubby is a "loner" niether one of us like big groups/ parties. So, im guessing we have some social anxiety and some missing social skills. We just dont "replensih" by parites and groups of friends... We both find it just draining- like our aspie son. 

My dad is also very "solitary". My FIL needed o/t as a kid.. His handwriting looks like. 5 year old kid.. No lie! 

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, OT wasnt as offered as it is now... And yes.. Having people be mean instead of helping them solve the problem is pretty typical of adults... Lol

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

My husband's handwriting is horrible too! I fill out all important docs to make sure people can read them. Thankfully at his job everything is written on the computer. He never received OT tho ..... he just said his teachers were always mean to him about it and constantly counted off for bad handwriting but never showed him how to make it better.

Quoting SamMom912:

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I see it in myself. Have trouble in crowds cannot maintain eye contact. Hum a lot. 

mamaboys0207
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:55 PM

My husband actually...he hates new people and crowds. He will avoid them at all costs. And I cant do eye contact for more than a couple seconds.

girl_incognito
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Sure...

my NT son's nickname is "webster" as in the dictionary, he is FULL of facts, he also does some stimming type behaviors when he is rattling off these facts.

My daughter has quite a few traits. She flaps when she is upset, it always makes me think "huh"... but it's only when she is upset, which isn't very frequent. She has some sensory issues... she is a very concrete thinker, doesn't get sarcasm, but is very social and has not problems maintaining appropriate peer relationships... Dev. Ped. said it's nonverbal learning disability... (she has problems in school academically and has an IEP)

My husband is quirky, but in a NT type way...he's kind of dyslexic with horrible handwriting... super smart though.

I am diagnosed.

Did you know... and my psychologiost told me this, that even NT adults will rock if they are really really upset ? I did not know that! She said of course I wouldn't know, people don't talk about that kind of behavior!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)