Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Brushing Teeth

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 21 Replies

I am having a struggle brushing my 4 year olds teeth. For a few years he was trying to imitate me with his little toothbrush. He mostly liked the toothpaste, but he was making the arm motions like he was brushing them. Now I pretty much have to hold him down and shove the toothbrush in and do a quick brush. I tried different types of toothbrushes, he was fascinated by my electric one, so I got him one and he still runs away. How have you ladies dealt with this? I just feel bad having to force him to let me do this. At the dentist it's hard too, we barely get his mouth open and the dentist goes fast, as well as the cleaning. Once you let him go though, it's like nothing ever happened.

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redheadstar
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM

My ds never liked me brushing his teeth, now he tolerates it and is somewhat getting better, daily routine is key.     Good Luck!  :")

amnicu02
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Yes!! Tooth brushing and the dentist have been two major issues with us. I still have to hold my ds5 down occasionally and brush his teeth. My dd7 is so afraid of the dentist they had to put her asleep just to put a few caps on. Things have gotten better over time, but we still have issues.
emarin77
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I would ask him why he doesn't like brushing his teeth. My son didn't like the electric tooth brush either.  It is a sensory issue.  He prefers a regular toothbrush and he likes himself now and is 5 years old..

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Whatever works for the moment for DS 6yo ASD.  Used to have DH turn him upside down and he'd laugh and open wide and i'd brush.  Have done it in front of the mirror while singing a song.  right now,he is somewhat better,but mainly likes to chew the toothbrush.  we are able to floss so yay.  Dentist,he is in a "papoose"  and dentist is fast and lucilky somehow, no cavities yet.

mamalena137
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Thank you ladies. I have tried the regular toothbrush as well. My son isn't very verbal and doesn't answer questions. It's just funny how for a while he would try to do it himself, then the past year, when I ask him or tell him let's go brush our teeth he'll run away yelling "no."

Jenalide
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

We have had this problem as well.  When I asked my OT about it, she simply asked, "What is your motivator?" 
We had a few little things, but she thought we needed to up the reward to get him to want to do it... IPAD!  So, we say brush teeth first, then Ipad.  It seems to work well for him.  We will also at times let him watch an episode of a show or short movie if he brushes.  We have also worked to brush a little earlier, so he is not too tired, and so we have time for the motivator.  That seems to help as well.  We also have a variety of brushes in his cup, and he can pick which one he wants.  He has an airplane, Diego, color crayon, electric... lots of variety, so he feels like he has a choice.  We also use the Ginger the Cat App on the ipad, and the cat brushes his teeth to a timer.  Our son will brush along with him, 

Billsbabygirl
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:31 PM
My son hates to brush. He's 10. I threaten, scream, drag him in anything you can think of. It's a nightmare every day
SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Jul. 12, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Maybe a visual schedule? Social story? Those are the 2 things that always seem to work with my DS.

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Jul. 12, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Here is something I found online. I just googled "visual schedules for toothbrushing"

newmommy430
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 5:28 PM
This has been an issue for us as well. I let him brush them himself first. Then, I go over them while tickling him. It's not an ideal solution, but I hated holding him down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)