Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Learning letters quickly!

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM
  • 18 Replies

My son will be two at the end of the month, and he's been delayed in every area of development. Something shocking has happened suddenly though, and he's learned about half of the letters of the alphabet (by using ipad apps). He was completely non-verbal just two months ago, and today he's able to say and associate half of the letters. He's fascinated by letters, and will point them out on park benches, signs, etc. 

First of all...YAY I'm so proud that he's making some awesome progress in this area. Secondly...is this considered a "typical" time to learn letters? I have no idea what is "normal" all I really understand are my sons age equivalents. 

*happy dance* 

by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 14, 2013 at 5:05 PM

No he is learning early. My son could say his letters and knew them by sight at 2 1/2. He was able to count to 20 and recognize his numbers 1-10. My saw is fascinated by numbers and letters. When he has a meltdown in public I pull out a deck of cards in my purse and it will usually calm him down. Not sure what age they are suppose to know them. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Ashton loves letters and spelling. It seems a lot of kids with autism pick up on letters or number (or both) early on. It is still something to be super proud about and I'm dancing along with ya ;)

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM
My 3 yr old learned all his letters at two. That is early. He may or may not be ASD.

My other son who is ASD, learned his letters at 4 and I thought that was early too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Maybe it's an ASD thing b/c both of mine knew the whole alphabet (upper/lower case SURE why not) before 2, 2.5.  My son who wouldn't say my name would label every letter with glee wherever we went.  They way I see it, our kids are smart, sometimes overly smart, but autism gets in the way of them expressing that smart at times.  But letters are something they can really GET.  They're visual, they're in a song, elmo loves them, they are small pretty easy to say sounds, they're AWESOME! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:38 AM

That's great mama!  

deadlights86
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:44 AM
Autism can be awesome sometime. My Ds is 4.5 and is starting to read a little bit.
Stephw1110
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:02 AM

That's awesome.  I have 2 nephews who turned 2 in March and neither one of them know their letters, I also have another nephew who will be 3 in October and he still doesn't know all of his letters (a few) and he has no idea about colors.  I think some NT 2 year olds can learn their letters but it's not something most know.  My son knew all his letters, most basic colors and shapes, and could count to 20 by the time he was 2.  But he couldn't tell me what he wanted.  And I know he learned it all from apps and cartoons.  He was obsessed with Blues Clues for about a year.  He has multiple times been asked what color a yellow-green is with the therapists expecting either yellow or green.  No it's Chartruse (sp?).  It's proof that their little brains work much differently.

Joni-mom23
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:44 AM
My ds with mild asd knew all his letters A-Z and number 1-10 @ 26 months old. He loves letters, words,and numbers. He could have known them before that though, I would do flash cards with him and tell him the letter or number the ask him what it was of course he is non-verble and wouldn't answer me. We got him a little lap top kids computer and to our surprize he knew all the numbers and letters.
Since then we tried to advance his learning with a leap pad 2 but he tore it up within a couple months.
lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Thanks everyone! I realized that he knows basic colors yestereday too, and a couple of numbers. I can hardly even believe it. I don't know where he is on the spectrum yet (still working on a diagnosis, ugh), but we're talking about a kid who has never even looked in my direction when asked "where's mommy?" It makes me wonder if maybe he never plays with toys because they aren't stimulating enough for him. Hmm. 

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:05 AM

That's an interesting point. I don't actually know when my son learned these letters because he only recently began speaking. As soon as he figured out how to speak he started rattling off letters. Hmmm. 

Quoting Joni-mom23:

My ds with mild asd knew all his letters A-Z and number 1-10 @ 26 months old. He loves letters, words,and numbers. He could have known them before that though, I would do flash cards with him and tell him the letter or number the ask him what it was of course he is non-verble and wouldn't answer me. We got him a little lap top kids computer and to our surprize he knew all the numbers and letters.
Since then we tried to advance his learning with a leap pad 2 but he tore it up within a couple months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)