Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Have you taken your ASD child on a cruise?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM
  • 18 Replies
Have any of you ever taken your child with ASD or seizure disorder on a cruise?
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nova86
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM

When he was 4 and 5, 2 cruises. Brought our own food - it was manageable because my parents were with us.

Went again a month ago - he's now 10. It was awful. Tantrum every day, almost constantly. Walking on eggshells. I was afraid we'd be arrested in Alaska. We should have brought our own food, should not have forced a formal dinner every night.

But then, maybe the tantrums were going to happen anyway. He's been having daily tantrums. So... if that's the case, we should go on another cruise anyway.

Koltie6
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:21 PM
My son has meltdowns as well. He is 6. They are manageable . We went to Disney last fall and he had a great time with not a single meltdown. They were very accommodating as far as diet. Thanks for sharing.

Quoting Nova86:

When he was 4 and 5, 2 cruises. Brought our own food - it was manageable because my parents were with us.

Went again a month ago - he's now 10. It was awful. Tantrum every day, almost constantly. Walking on eggshells. I was afraid we'd be arrested in Alaska. We should have brought our own food, should not have forced a formal dinner every night.

But then, maybe the tantrums were going to happen anyway. He's been having daily tantrums. So... if that's the case, we should go on another cruise anyway.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Nope. Heck, I've never been on a cruise! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Koltie6
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Lol me either but would like to.

Quoting mypbandj:

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:31 PM

No

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I haven't been either.

Quoting mypbandj:

pandabear61
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I have taken my ASD child on a Disney cruise, prior to going part of his ABA was working with possible issues he may encounter.  He had a couple of meltdowns due to noise in the prelaunch activites I removed him to our cabin to calm down and he did fine.  He was 8 when I took him.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Nope.  Good luck!

Bobcatridge
by Carol on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

We have taken our daughter (aspergers and GAD) on two cruises, one when she was 5 and one when she was 6.  The first cruise was to Mexico.  An older aunt and uncle also were on the cruise and they had a fancy suite.  We had a basic room.  The suite was really nice because it was quiet and large enough to relax in.  The seccnd cruise was to the Carribean and we upgraded from a basic room to a bigger room with a balcony because we were going alone and we needed the quiet space for our daughter.

Most cruises have a kids club.  The kids eat with you every meal but there are morning, afternoon, and evening sessions of the kids club.  On days when you are in port you can leave your child at the kids club while you go into port.  Our daugthter absolutely loved the kids club and wanted to spend every moment possible there.  I think she was not the only kid on the spectrum being dropped off at the kids club.  The kids club had a variety of activities and the kids could do the ones that interested them.  They could do activities alone or with other kids.  The kids club staff were great.  We sometimes took our daughter into port with us and sometimes didn't.  She has wonderful memories of the horsehack ride in the surf in the Carribean and the hike in the rainforest on one of the islands.

We found the food buffets were too noisy and chaotic and did not work for us.  We dined in our room for breakfast.  We ate in the dining room for lunch and dinner.  If things were not going well, one of us would go to the food buffet, load up with food and bring it back to the room.

In general I would say that the cruises worked as a vacation for us.  My daughter has great memories from the cruises.  We did do things to ensure that she had a quiet place when things got too much for her.  We have decided that cruises do not allow you to see enough of the places you visit so now we tend to just go to the places we want to visit.  I think the cruises were perfect when our daughter was 5 and 6.  They were fun for us and fun for her.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM

No I haven't but a couple weeks ago a mom posted something about a cruise where you pay just a bit more and you get a person who will help you with your child the entire time. They will even watch your child so you can have some time to yourself. Wish I could remember what the site was called but most cruise lines have something for children with special needs. Going to look for the post and type the name on here for you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)