Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Thank You and one more thing

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:23 PM
  • 7 Replies

Wow! Thank you to all the people that responded to my hugging post. Now I don't feel alone anymore. I am a single parent of two. My 22 year old is autistic. He is sweet and helpful and kind to others. I love him so much. I am having problems also with his sleeping patterns. He goes to sleep like at 8pm and wakes up around 4-5am. I can"t seem to break this. I have tried keeping him awake and then he just goes to bed way late like midnight. Does anyone else have this issue?

by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Bluerose1482
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Can he watch movies or something until you wake up, or does he need constant supervision?  If he can get up by himself and watch movies, I'd just let him keep the hours that are natural to him. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Not currently but Ashton did have this issue whehe was in preschool. I'm guessing he outgrew it. But he would wake up in the middle of the night and be wired and not go back to sleep. It was exhausting. Hugs!

kentuckyrose
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Try 15 minutes past his bed time. Next night add 15 more to his bed time. Then for two nights more stay at 8:30pm. Trying gradually to add the time for his bed time until you feel that it is right for him. I have a son who is 18 that has autism pdd who gets up at 7am.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Going to bed around 8 and getting up at 4-5 isn't that bad.  It could be worse.  My son does that at times...but then he just naps later.  Hugs!

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I'm a single mom too... you have a lot to contribute because not many of us have grown children. I can see why this hugging is a problem if he is a grown man :) I am sure people don't quite understand. That is a tough one...I don't envy you that issue but you obviously have the right attitude. I am so glad you joined the group. 

OK, sleeping-. I have heard other moms talk about melatonin as a great way to help their kids with sleeping better. It is a natural substance that our bodies create and a little extra can help with sleeping patterns. I just asked my doctor about it and she said it is completely safe but the trick for it to really work is to use it consistently and give it to them a little while before they go to bed if you are trying to get them in bed earlier. 

Welcome to the group!  XO

specmom2
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Thank you so much! I will try that! My son has pdd also. What a great idea! I was almost ready to quit thinking he was too old to change. This is great! Thanks!

specmom2
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Melatonin is great! I do know that I have to vary dosage sometimes because a persons body can get used to it. I want to try to keep him up 15 min later than normal and see how that goes. Then, give him the Melatonin and see what happens. Thanks so much! My son's hugging problem only happens at the pool thank God. But I have noticed he only hugs men. I think largely because his father has spent little time with him since he was a baby. Now he can't his father died in March. So I truly appreciate this community. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)