Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

positive reinforcement

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:38 PM
  • 12 Replies
Ive used this technique for a month niw so far so good tantrums have gone down from every day to once a week WOW!!
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this
That's awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucasmadre
by Kari on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Such an easy and proven technique but so easy to forget. Thanks for reminding us all how good it works!!

Congratulations!  XO

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:39 AM
1 mom liked this

That is wonderful!

kjns
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Can you give some examples, my DD gets frustrated Crete easily and from what I feel the tantrums are growing as she is aging. On top of that DH thinks he can be stern , scold and can get the behavior better! As per him the kid is just being stubborn and he is trying to nip it in the bud ( really!)
LicParaMommy
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I would really love some examples of exactly what you are doing!  We feel like hanging ourselves with the end of our rope!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Poster:

SO GLAD it worked for you. But sad to say postive reinforcement didnt work for us. There was NO REWARD great enough. There was NO currency great enough to get my son to do what we wanted every time with out issue. I know some kids respond to it-- and I am SOOO glad yours did...

For those that find there is no currency great enough, no postive reward tht works.. no sticker chart, no star chart, no penny jar... etc... I suggest you r ead the expolsive child- by ross greene- I found it super helpful.. no scolding, no pubnishments.. worked like a charm to instill happy respectful household.
most of his info is free at http://www.livesinthebalance.org/... on the left go to LEARN- Why solve problems collaboratively. Watch all 5-6 short videos... just mind blowing-- life changing for us!!!!
We have been doing this for a year.. my son is doing SUPER. maybe 3 short 5minute "issues" not even trantrums.. easily resolved, Peace.

Quoting kjns:

Can you give some examples, my DD gets frustrated Crete easily and from what I feel the tantrums are growing as she is aging. On top of that DH thinks he can be stern , scold and can get the behavior better! As per him the kid is just being stubborn and he is trying to nip it in the bud ( really!)

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

That's awesome!

mariat2
by Maria on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Yes....We also did try scolding in the beginning but I realized it wasn't working, it was causing fear in him and he was afraid to fail.I know they used positive reinforcement at school.So I decided to give it a try at home.Some examples I do is every time he does something right I congradulate him or give him some medal or a reward.When he doesn't or he is being mean I remind him that's not right or I tell him how he can hurt someones feelings.His good behavior is all him.Its not forced.

Quoting kjns:

mariat2
by Maria on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Yes I wrote some examples in response to kjns.

Quoting LicParaMommy:

I would really love some examples of exactly what you are doing!  We feel like hanging ourselves with the end of our rope!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

This is great. I know you are feeling great about this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN