Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What is the best thing about having a child with autism?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Amy
  • 40 Replies
3 moms liked this

What do you love most about having a child on the spectrum?

For me, I love how sweet, huggy and fun my son is.  I love his sense of humor. :)

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GOBryan
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM
4 moms liked this
They teach me to appreciate the little accomplishments that I would have overlooked, like many, if they were common children.
NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM
2 moms liked this
This is so true. She helps me to appreciate the little things. The things that were so important before, don't even matter anymore. I love her energy, creativity, and craftiness. She helps me to see everything in a whole new way.

Quoting GOBryan:

They teach me to appreciate the little accomplishments that I would have overlooked, like many, if they were common children.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:47 PM
5 moms liked this

Ive learned more.
 pateince, acceptance, understanding, compassion, flexibility, empathy... all have increased with my son. Im a better person and a better mom because of him.

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this

that he is mine

SassyWildflower
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm so glad you did this post. Yesterday was such a hard day with my DD & I was so down and upset after one of her melt downs..This really helps :) Sometimes I forget to reflect on the good..Everything these other moms have said, I can definitely apply to myself. 

I love my DD's laughter. It's random and so funny. She makes me laugh and smile when she just busts out laughing out of no where. 

I have learned to  handle things differently--not just with her but with my oldest who isn't on the spectrum as well.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter thrives on physical contact so hugs, kisses, rough-housing and snuggling are all very enjoyable to her. I love that she wants to curl up next to me and have me hold her close when she's watching a movie. I'm not sure how many 2 year old would want that.

KyLo
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm new, but this post jumped out at me!

My daughter has taught me to look at the world from a totally different perspective, to never judge a book by it's cover & to never take anything for granted.  She has taught me to celebrate EVERY achievement, no matter how big or small.  To me, she is perfect just the way she is & I wouldn't change her for the world! :-)

busymommy98
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too! Same thing. I also love his little stimming actions, he will flap his hands so hard when he is happy that you can hear the bones in his lil wrists cracking. Plus, the little noises he makes when he is happy, the way he skips when he is somewhere he enjoys. That is what I live for...

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:20 PM

His memory.  I may be in a different area and ask my son if there is a walgreens around.  He'll know where if he's ever been there once or seen an ad for it in the newspaper!  He's a little GPS:)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 15, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Love all the comments ladies!  Love that my little guy smiles all the time!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)