Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm a Grandma, not a mom, but need your advice please!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM
  • 6 Replies

My Grandson is High Functioning and will be 7 in a month.  He is potty trained for pee and has been for a while.  But we cannot get him potty trained for poop!  We have tried lots of different things but he just doesn't get it.  I don't know what the problem is!  He will hold it and hold it and then just go in his pants.  We can set him on the toilet right after school and make him sit there but he won't go, then the minute he gets up, he'll poop in his pants.  His Dr. didn't even really have any good advice.  I'm concerned about kids at school making fun of him--you know how kids can be.  I just can't figure out WHY he won't poop in the toilet but has not problems with having it in his pants?  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Ashton pee trained a year before he poop trained. It was frustrating but we just kept trying and puting him on the toilet when he started to go in his pul-up. We also gave him probiotics and that seemed to help him feel better and then shortly after that he started to poop on potty..not sure if it was coincidence or not.. He hasn't had too many accidents since..but he has a hard time wiping good and I still wipe him often. He is 8.5 and going into 3rd grade and has been potty trained for about 3.5 years.

kajira
by Emma on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I would look at his diet -  alot of times, it hurts to go, so they associate that witht he potty.

Fiber, probitiocs, can help - if you can get his system regular he may be able to just go on the potty when it's time until he's mature enough to understand the signals his body is trying to tell him.

It may also be possible that pooping hurts and he associated it with the potty.

emarin77
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:45 PM

He is probably scared to poop in the toilet.  My son was.  He started poopling in a children's portable toilet and then moved unto the reguler toilet.  We used the apple tree.  Every time he went to the potty he received an apple to put on the tree and an Angry Bird gummy when he peed or pooped.  He started this when he was 3 and 6 months later he was pooping in the potty.

t1gger143
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:49 PM
My ds started peeing his pants. It was for attention. He is high functioning and can be very manipulative. We stayed calm and made him clean himself. We stopped recognizing that he had done it and about 2 weeks later he stopped. It was a very stressful 2 weeks.
JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Welcome to the group. We don't expect you to be a mom to be part of this group. Everyone is welcomed here. As for your grandson my son is only 3 and we have just begun potty training so I don't know if I can be of much help. I would suggest maybe trying a visual schedule and try to use a timed schedule for a while. So every 90 minutes or so put him on the toilet. Then do this every 90 minutes.
stamps58
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Thank you all for your advice.  I hope something works soon!  I so worry about him.  Thanks again!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)