Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommas give me your opinion

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:33 PM
  • 22 Replies
So Delia's is almost 11 mos and having an early intervention on the 25th I've noticed lots of things since birth that scare me. And she just started spinning in circles while sitting. Is this a sign too. I know spinning is a sign but can it be as a baby too? She's also super fussy since birth and never happy and just a whole other list of certain things
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Aw, I don't have any experience with early intervention.  Best of luck to you and big hugs! 

Love her name and if that is her in your pic, she is adorable! :)

KatyTylersMom
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:44 PM
2 moms liked this

It's good to get EI involved, you'll have many evaluations in-hand so that if you decide you want to pursue any kind of further diagnosis with any kind of doctor you'll be well prepared.  We started noticing something was definitely off (as opposed to maybe off..maybe he's fine...) with our son at around 12 months and we were pursuing a diagnosis by 15 months.  It took until 19 months because of wait lists for professionals capable of diagnosing autism in children under 5. 

In any event, there's no harm in getting therapies on-board and seeing how her evaluations come out, then depending on how she does in her therapies and how her doctors/therapists think she's doing you can choose to go for a diagnosis or not. 

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Ok, if our opinion is if she is adorable, YES!  Such a cute picture!!  Love it!!

I honestly have no idea on the spinning but had to tell you how cute she is.

Good luck at your appointment!  I'm sure these ladies will have some great advise for you!

harajukumoma
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Thank you;)

Quoting Charizma77:

Aw, I don't have any experience with early intervention.  Best of luck to you and big hugs! 

Love her name and if that is her in your pic, she is adorable! :)

harajukumoma
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Aww thanks! :D that's sweet

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Ok, if our opinion is if she is adorable, YES!  Such a cute picture!!  Love it!!

I honestly have no idea on the spinning but had to tell you how cute she is.

Good luck at your appointment!  I'm sure these ladies will have some great advise for you!

LADYxGHOST
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM

My ds got early intervention when he was 3. The doctor stated tome that what is the worse that cna happen? If he gets early intervention and turns out to be perfectly normal, then he is no worse for the wear, but if he is Autistic then the early intervention will be critical in in his progress.

As an infanr my ds was easy to deal with. He hardly ever cried and and seldom fussed except when getting him dressed or bathing him. When he got to about 6 months all changed. Or perhaps it was just too obvious to ignore anymore. And after then it got worse and worse but not too bad I told myself. ANd his primary was of the thought 'he is a boy and will grow out of it". When he was 3 he saw a different doctor due to his promary be unavailable and it turned out to be a the best thing for him.  This dr had experience with Autisim and told us that all his behaviours point to him being autistic, not just hyper and quirky as the other doctor advised.  There few resources where i lived for autisim but we had him placed in a daycare where the provider was experienced with the condition and we researched and worked with our ds. It paid off for everyone.  My ds went from classic autism, to PDD-Nos to Aspergers. His diagnosis changed as his syptoms improved. But on rare occassions he reverts back to soem of his early classic autisic behaviors, like banging his head agaisnt the wall until stopped and redirected or he passes out. But in the last year that has happened only 1 whre when he was a toddler it happened daily.  I firmly believe that without the early intervention my ds would not be as far along as his is and certain behaviours would have become habits and harder to change. Our awareness allowed us to intervene when certain behaviors would present themselves as he grew up and his enviroment changed.

I would recomend early intervention. it couldn't hurt and could really amke a difference for your entire family.

harajukumoma
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Thank you.. Ya I am happy that EI is coming but at the same time terrified, I just want them
So badly to say oh you're imagining all this, she's completely normal! But I know deep down this is not true. My SO is in denial and always says she's getting better and she's just a baby-- I knkw better. I KNOW something is off. Why does it have to be our child... What am I gonna do.. How am I gonna raise a special needs child?? So sad...

Quoting LADYxGHOST:My ds got early intervention when he was 3. The doctor stated tome that what is the worse that cna happen? If he gets early intervention and turns out to be perfectly normal, then he is no worse for the wear, but if he is Autistic then the early intervention will be critical in in his progress.
As an infanr my ds was easy to deal with. He hardly ever cried and and seldom fussed except when getting him dressed or bathing him. When he got to about 6 months all changed. Or perhaps it was just too obvious to ignore anymore. And after then it got worse and worse but not too bad I told myself. ANd his primary was of the thought 'he is a boy and will grow out of it". When he was 3 he saw a different doctor due to his promary be unavailable and it turned out to be a the best thing for him.  This dr had experience with Autisim and told us that all his behaviours point to him being autistic, not just hyper and quirky as the other doctor advised.  There few resources where i lived for autisim but we had him placed in a daycare where the provider was experienced with the condition and we researched and worked with our ds. It paid off for everyone.  My ds went from classic autism, to PDD-Nos to Aspergers. His diagnosis changed as his syptoms improved. But on rare occassions he reverts back to soem of his early classic autisic behaviors, like banging his head agaisnt the wall until stopped and redirected or he passes out. But in the last year that has happened only 1 whre when he was a toddler it happened daily.  I firmly believe that without the early intervention my ds would not be as far along as his is and certain behaviours would have become habits and harder to change. Our awareness allowed us to intervene when certain behaviors would present themselves as he grew up and his enviroment changed.
I would recomend early intervention. it couldn't hurt and could really amke a difference for your entire family.
LADYxGHOST
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:15 PM

honestly raising a special needs child is the same as with all children. With love and patience.  It may not be the journy you imagined but it isn't any less rewarding or challenging than raising a non special needs child. I have both an Autistic child and a nuero-typical child. Some days my ds with autisim was so much easier to handle then my non-autistic dd. There are days I cry over the struggles of my ds and those I cry over the struggles of my dd.  The only huge difference is how people around you respond to the unique way your special needs child sees the world and needs to be handled. You have to fight harder for that child and defend that child more but that is becasue of the ignorance of others.  Raising a child is hard work and a challenge regardless of their needs, specail or not.  No parent is fully ready to raise a child and it is a learning process. No 2 children are alike and require a different set of parenting skills, we struggle to learn how to teach and rasie our children, we succeed and we fail and we try again. Regardless if you child has special needs or not, the road is not easy or pain free. Honestly raising a child with special needs is easier then it looks (though I am not saying easy). On the outside it can seem so overwhelming and you may feel like you can not do it, and perhaps that day you can not. The most important thing is you love your child and want the best fro your child and will do whatever it takes t raise your child to be the most he or she can be. For some this journey is more complicated than others, but the basis is all the same, patience, love and the ability to forgive yourself if you mess up and the willingness to try again tomarrow.  The hard work pays off. I know it sound silly but the day my ds learned to run was more emotional then my dd's (my first born) first steps. We had worked with him and he struggled so hard, it wasn't jsut soemthing he automatically did, it was a family effort and we saw the pride and excitement in his face. The harder the job the greater the reward really is true for special needs children.  My ex and I where emotional about my ds going to a birthday party and actually palying and interacting with the other kids and when it got to much rather then have a melt down, he asked to go to the car to rest.  He is nearly 12 and taking himplaces has always been difficult becasue he stresses out easy and his meldowns can be difficult. After years of coaching and practice he finally is able to apply those skills. It was a special moment for us and my heart swelled with pride that my ds is growing up. 

Please do not think I ma saying it is a piece of cake and it will be easy, I am just saying parenting period is hard and if you take the time to get to know your child and firgure out how to work with your child and learn about your child's condition and take time for you and your SO to relax and rejuvinate you will be able to parent your child becasue parenting is more about your commitment to your child and the willingness to try and fail and love with all you heart, than if your child has special needs or not.  IMHO

Quoting harajukumoma:

Thank you.. Ya I am happy that EI is coming but at the same time terrified, I just want them
So badly to say oh you're imagining all this, she's completely normal! But I know deep down this is not true. My SO is in denial and always says she's getting better and she's just a baby-- I knkw better. I KNOW something is off. Why does it have to be our child... What am I gonna do.. How am I gonna raise a special needs child?? So sad...

Quoting LADYxGHOST:My ds got early intervention when he was 3. The doctor stated tome that what is the worse that cna happen? If he gets early intervention and turns out to be perfectly normal, then he is no worse for the wear, but if he is Autistic then the early intervention will be critical in in his progress.

MuseCBS
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Spinning in any format is a big sign mine spin in chairs and in circles and they are autistic

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Have you done the M-CHAT checklist yet? It really helped me to know what behaviors were signs vs what behaviors were just age appropriate. Cause that's a hard thing to try and distinguish between.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)