Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Were you able to get your child to start responding to his/her name?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM
  • 18 Replies

If you did, how did you do it? or is that impossible because it's something inherent in ASD?

My son responded to his name at about the right age he was supposed to, but no longer does. We don't have a diagnosis at this point (will have an evaluation ASAP), but he just never turns to look at me when I say his name (and I know he doesn't have a hearing problem). Since I have to wait a while for the evaluation and any therapy, I want to do as much as I can to get him to start responding to his name more (if possible). So far, I'm just using his name intentionally a lot more with every interaction, especially during meals (I say his name with each bite now) and when playing (e.g., "Jack, look at this ball!"). He still doesn't respond so far.

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MuseCBS
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I just called Tristan who's now four by his name all the time and I would point at me and say mommy and point at him and say Tristan eventually he got it it seemed to take forever but eventually he got the point

MrsJohnnyG
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Oh, that's good to know! Glad he eventually got it! I will start doing that too. (It's depressing; his 5-month-old brother now responds to his name... our doggies know their names and know everybody else's names... it's frustrating for my toddler to just sit there ignoring me like I coughed or something when I say his name!)

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Liam doesn't respond to his name that much. He can cause I've seen him so it. But one thing I've done is ask him a question instead. So, for example, I'd get out of the shower and he would have wondered down stairs. If call out to him, Liam? Where are you? Liam?

Silence.

So I started saying, say puppy! Or say mom! Anything that I could think of and then I'd hear him echo back: puppy!

And that was good for me. I just wanted to hear his voice so I knew I had another minute to dry off and put clothes on!

Now, when I'm right there with him and call just his name, he ignores me. Doesn't look up or anything. But if I say something like, is that a train? Or what color is that car? He might respond back.

My friend described it to me as Theory of Mind, the concept that other people have an agenda. He hears me but isn't getting the social aspect of needing to respond. He only responds to things that are of interest to him, not me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MuseCBS
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:28 PM

It's hard cause it feels deliberate but I don't think it is I just don't think they get the socialization issue. You could try sitting with him with Cheerios like an aba setting you sit he sits opposite and you say his name and show him if he says his he can have a o it might work

newmommy430
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Logan didn't for a long time. He does now, but not every time. I think that's just his age though because he seems to not hear his name when I'm calling him for something he doesn't want to do, like pick up his toys.

I noticed when he didn't respond to his name, he would respond to a nickname "little guy". I would cuddle with him and say "I love you my little guy". I think he associated the name "little guy" with affection, so it was more appealing. I started say "my little guy Logan" and then "my Logan" when cuddling. I think this as well as them working with him at school helped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsJohnnyG
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM

mypbandj, that is interesting (the theory of mind thing)! and thank you for that suggestion. He will look at me and smile if I make a crazy sound, but otherwise, nothing.

MuseCBS, oh, I know it's not deliberate... part of it (I think) is that my husband only uses pet names when he talks to him, not his actual name, and I do that too most of the time (e.g. "honey" instead of his name). 

newmommy, that is a great thought too, about associating a certain nickname with affection... I will have to start making sure I use his name instead of pet names when I'm loving on him!

Thanks so much, everyone... this helps.

MuseCBS
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:10 AM

we call Tristan TT for Tristan Anthony that helped him associate his name we made games of it with litle a little song which sounds bad but he loves it 

Tristan's song: 

My name is TT and I like to PP all over everybody all day (all day all day) and when I'm done doing all my pp I like to....... drizzle to the east and drizzle to the west the place I like to drizzle best is right down your chest I do the drizzle I do the TT drizzle all day..

it's funny he lights up when he hears it and that helped him establish who he is. Not the pp portion but the name portion

MrsJohnnyG
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Muse, that is SO cute!! What a great idea!
MuseCBS
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:38 AM
2 moms liked this

all four of our kids have songs I will post them in the morning :)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 17, 2013 at 5:37 AM

Brady still struggles with responding to his name but he's getting better:)  He will be 5 in October.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)